mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I know this is the KDX site, but thought some people might be interested in the first look at the 2003 KX 250f (four cycle). What I heard it's lighter than the 2001 kx 250, but with the four stroke low end. see link for picture http://www.voy.com/126615/73.html

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I just came back from Uwharrie,NC and I'm feeling a need for a four cycle bike. I have a FMF Fatty Pipe, Torque rings (at Mandifold and carb), airbox cover removed, 12 tooth front sporket, Vforce Ram reeds and am running 93 octane gas. The bike is a screamer, but when it comes to steep and rocking hills, the bike bogs down in the low end, while te four cycles just "chug" away. With the Four cycles at about par with the 2 cycles in weight, why not go with 4 cycle?

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I just came back from Uwharrie,NC and I'm feeling a need for a four cycle bike. I have a FMF Fatty Pipe, Torque rings (at Mandifold and carb), airbox cover removed, 12 tooth front sporket, Vforce Ram reeds and am running 93 octane gas. The bike is a screamer, but when it comes to steep and rocking hills, the bike bogs down in the low end, while te four cycles just "chug" away. With the Four cycles at about par with the 2 cycles in weight, why not go with 4 cycle?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Don't expect tight trail, lugging performance out of a motocross tuned 4-stroke (mainly 250 sized). They still need the heck revved out of them to make power due to the hot cams they come equipped with coupled with a close ratio trans...Sounds like you would prefer a Yamaha WR250/450f, or a new 4-stroke KTM EXC. The good old XR400 rocks in the bottom end too.

I'd stick w/ the KDX if I were you...Why? Cause I love mine, and this is the KDX forum! Have Eric Gorr do a bore/port job on it w/ an emphasis on torque. Add a delta force II reed cage and possibly a smaller carb depending on how torque hungry you are. A 33mm carb from a 220 owner shouldn't be hard to find.

I've found a "torqued out" KDX produces more torque than a moto-x 250cc 4-stroke. The big-bore (450) 4-strokes just can't be surpassed if this is the kind of grunt you are looking for.

My 2c...

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by fuzzy
Don't expect tight trail, lugging performance out of a motocross tuned 4-stroke (mainly 250 sized). They still need the heck revved out of them to make power due to the hot cams they come equipped with coupled with a close ratio trans...

They really don't need to be revved as much as everyone says. Sure, they go a lot faster if you rev them but they will lug along just fine. I have a yz250f and its a great trail bike I think.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by coleman

They really don't need to be revved as much as everyone says. Sure, they go a lot faster if you rev them but they will lug along just fine. I have a yz250f and its a great trail bike I think.

Ditto!

I have a YZ250F and a KDX200 (son's bike). They are both great trail bikes. The YZF will poke around in first gear all day long if you are so inclined. I would say they are pretty equal on the low end but the YZF will eat the KDX alive from the midrange on up.

Last edited:

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Hmm... Look at the engine in the pic in the first post. Then compare it to this pic.:)

http://www.kawasaki.com/admin/uploadFiles/k_klx400r_a_800.jpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom