2003 yz250f for trails and motocross???

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Need advice!I'm 47 yr.old, 145lbs, 6'0" and thinking about the 250 yzf or wr250. 90% trails, 10% motocross practice tracks is what we ride. I like the yzf because of the LIGHT weight! I don't mind kicking it if it starts, and I hear that's not a problem now. Any thoughts from you who own the 2003 model? Also, I see that FMF makes a "Q" silencer that brings noise from 99 decibels to 93 decibels. How much quieter is that??
Thanks in advance!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm 5'5" and 125 lbs. on an '03 and have no problems starting mine. I've probably had it out 10 times or so now... even raced it... and never had a starting problem. Sometimes it takes a few kicks for the first start of the day, but thats it. And I had a hard enough time starting my 125 once in a while just from being short. The '03 starts great (even after laying it over, stalling, etc... and in gear too).

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
nikki-
Thanks for the reply! My local dealer tells me I should really go for the wr instead of the yzf since I am basically a trail rider. He tells me the yzf may have problems overheating riding on slow trails due to the gearing being different. (But I really would like a light weight bike.) Anybody got any opinion on that??

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
My friend has a YZ 400F and when we ride trails it does over heat sometimes. You can tell when it is getting close, It smells and starts back firing. Don't know that that would stop me from getting one. I hear their awesome.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I have yet to take my YZF on the trails yet but I would much rather be on the more powerful YZF especially for the kind of cash your going to shell out. It's easier to make the YZF more of a trail bike than going the other way around. The bike kicks over very easy at the race this weekend I let a little 8 y/o kid kick over my bike for fun. They had no problem with the lever pressure I can start it by hand if I want. I haven't taken it out on the trails yet mainly cause I've been busy with racing a ax series and I have no spark arrestor. Of course most people will say get a WR cause you said your gonna mainly trail ride it I have always perfered and ridden MX bikes off road with minimal mods. I have never wasted the time to add flywheel wieghts or done suspension mods to set it up for woods. I've ridden mostly 125's so I'm use to having to clutch alot. You won't have to do that on the YZF in fact I use the clutch like 80% less now situations that had my slipping the clutch on a 125 the 250F will torque out of with a twist of the throttle. I love the fact that it rev's really high too. The stock noise level is more like 101 db's and the FMF Q would bring it down to more like 94-96 db's realistically. The bike stock 1.8 gal tank has been reported by other owners as averaging 35-40 miles a tank easy. It only has a problem with heating up if you let it sit still for a long time but I have yet to get it boil over. I know the bike will rock out on the trails I plan to finally take out on the trails later this month when I get a break in the series i'm racing. I'd go for the YZF and look right past the WR even if I was just gonna trail ride it only.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I agree with the above post. We have a few guys here in MI that ride trail only on the 250 YZF and do real well. It handles well and had a friendly motor.

olddirt

Dec 17, 2002
I know some guys that have had both the WRF and YZF 250's and use them exclusively for trails. They prefer the YZF due to the lighter weight and slimmer tank/seat. They say the YZ just feels better. If you don't have to have the lighting and electric start, you may want to consider the YZ.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
have to wonder why the Scandinavian enduro guns Stephane Peterhansel and Peter Bergvall ride WRs instead of YZFs in the World Enduro Championships.

The YZFs will overheat more quickly because the WRs have an extra radiator core.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999

Good point but the majority of riders do not race World Enduro Championships. I've raced HS in 90+ Southern heat and not boiled over the radiator (despite my 1st gear spodely style :) ).

From my experience the YZ250F is a more versatile bike for a wider range of enthusiasts than just about any other bike. There certainly are other quality options as well but the YZ250F in the woods is not a bad choice at all.

Ivan

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Thanks again to everybody for all the input! As soon as my $$ is right again, I'll test drive and probably go for it. They certainly seem to be popular here in N.C. I was glad to see there is a quiet pipe for this bike also. It seems like one of the few negative things is the noise, but then again, it is a bike for racing as well.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Hon-Yam-Junk... either give some valid reasons for saying something like "total junk" or don't post.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses but it is necessary to back it up.

Thanks
Ivan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…