BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I traded off the 02 426 for the 03 450. Just got done with the first ride(break in). SaaaWEEEET! Started second kick with the choke. Rode for 10 mins., shut it off, started right back up, no hot start. Shut it down and waited 5 mins, first kick, no start, pulled the hot start, first kick. This bike is going to be fast. 40 mph easy in second gear. Big step between 3rd and 4th. Loads of power.
The fit and finish is not perfect. The tops of the radiators look discolored and the assemblers used a marker on everything. This will all likely wash off but detracts from the finished product. The shrouds don't line up 100% at the top of the tank. They used a hex head to attach the shrouds to the radiator and phillips heads to attach to the tank. Lack of consistancy IMO. They have used hex, torx, phillips, and allen screws and bolts almost randomly. It will require a #1, #2, & #3 phillips to service everything. :think:
Most if not all of the hose clamps are easily accessable with the screw heads facing out. A skid plate is definitely in order if you will take it into the woods. There is a vent hose run from the valve cover down the front left side of the motor and there is a "chincy" clamp held on by a ignition cover screw, one tree branch and it is history. The hot start is moved to the left handle bar where the decompression lever was on the 426. Yamaha has conspicuously bent the lever forward in an effort to remind former 426 owners that it is NOT a decompression lever. It is very convenient. The grips are typical stock Yamaha, HARD. That is on my list of upgrades.
After my first ride, over all the bike gets an High A but just short of an A+. The fit and finish is less than perfect and Yamaha's choices of fasteners baffles me. Can't hardly wait to wick the throttle open hard and report on the grin(pucker) factor. :aj:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Just what I need to be roosted by a 450. Oh wait it's Bswift riding it , never mind. :debil:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:moon:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Do you like the 4 speed trans? I just put a deposit on a WR450. Should be in sometime in Dec. With that nice little button and 5 speed.

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
That's cool Brian. I bet you are VERY happy... :thumb:

Maybe I will see the new 450 at C'Land today (9/29/02) when we raise the big top... (I have yet to let Justin and his brother know that I will be there with gloves and sledge. I am heading over to the HS forum to see if the time has changed from 1:30 PM today...)

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Did your Dr. prescribe this as physical therapy for your elbow? I imagine that Dr. Dubach would. I sat on one the other day, couldn't believe how slim it felt, think your gonna love it. You should never be short on power.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
After DW02, my feeling is that Yamaha hit the mark. This bike has power to spare. Once you put tension on the throttle cable you are rockin'. 4 speed? This thing would take off by itself if it had 5 gears! The bike is light feeling and is easy to manuver. For our riding conditions the tires are crap. I'll put some M12's on and solve that problem. The bike is a light switch. The power does not go flat, it is solid from the time you start twisting the throttle till it hits the rev limiter. The engine braking is much less abrupt than the 426 but still takes some getting used to. The lack of flywheel weight makes it easy to stall but it will bump start easily. Now if I could only ride it like Dubach does!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
The lack of flywheel weight makes it easy to stall but it will bump start easily.

Bswift,
Any thoughts of putting a flywheel weight on to reduce the stall factor?

Thanks again for letting me ride the 450 at DW. I can't get over the way the engine keeps pulling and pulling. I had no problem turning the throttle open on the grass track, but on the mx track I was much more reserved. When I came into a corner I pulled the clutch in to keep from stalling. Are you using this technique? I think with some adjustment time to a 4 stroke I would find it would fit my riding style. I like the idea of not needing to slip the clutch out of most corners. Would turning up the idol keep the big lug from wanting to stall as much, or is it a matter of seating time? After reviewing my ride in my mnds eye, I decided with a 4 stroke you need to turn the throttle a litte sooner to get the engine going. Not that you need to because of a lack of power. Sorry for all the questions, I guess I'm still on the fence. Maybe its a good thing I have to wait a few more months to make my purchase.

Thanks,
Tim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom