Sep 15, 2004
I just ordered a 2005 kdx 200 for $3700 out the door! I cant wait I have heard so many good things about this bike.Thanks to all you who have helped me make my decision.I want to take good care of my new baby,so how often should I change the oil?what type of two cycle oil do you recommend?Any other maintenice help is greatly appriciated! :yeehaw:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Fresh meat!! errrr I mean, welcome yankeefanforlife72. You are going to really enjoy your time reading here about the KDX. Tons of info and a group of KDX fans that border on dysfunctional. Learn first, all you can by reading past posts and doing searches. If you're not sure how to do searches, ask and someone will point you the right way. Check out the first thread called, "every KDX rider should read this." and the link to a site called justkdx. You will be up till the crack of dawn, past that even, once you have your green machine snug in your own garage. I've had my current KDX for a couple of years now, and I still take a peek out into the garage when I head for the kitchen from watching TV in the living room.

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Holy moly!! I though I was the only goober that open the garage door to look at my bike. One time I even woke up at 2 am and remembered that I forgot to do something and started working on my bike then and there. The girlfriend wasn't to happy about that :ohmy: but she got over it. But yes do the search's (upper right corner) and that will help, if not then post it and you'll get more than enough help from these guys.

ELF

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Don't even get me started on the little woman's take on my glances into the garage. She once mumbled that she wished I would look at her that way. I said, give a ride like the KDX does and I will. I didn't duck quick enough.

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
skipro3 said:
Don't even get me started on the little woman's take on my glances into the garage. She once mumbled that she wished I would look at her that way. I said, give a ride like the KDX does and I will. I didn't duck quick enough.

HAHA, good one :) :laugh:
Joe :laugh:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Back to the 'G' rated family forum........

Yankee: I don't know what you know and what you don't. Let us know that you got to CDave's site (the one that is linked as mentioned...in the 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread that is stickied to the top of this forum. You probably got that from skipro's post...but if you've never been on a forum before....maybe not.)

Say so if the answer is, 'huh' or '?????????' like you said the first time. (That's what has me ruminating...although there are no stickies at the 'top of the page' if you mean THIS page)

whew........

You will find on CDave's site a lot of stuff you need to know...a lot of stuff you must get done asap. Sure, you can ride the bike like it is...and in a short time you will be replacing some expensive stuff. Or...you can read and heed and then you won't be in for such a rude surprise when you price steering stem bearings and spend an entire weekend trying to get your old one off.

Same goes for the pivot pin that holds your swingarm on. Pull it out with your fingers now...cut it out with a hacksaw later.

Spend some time on this forum and you will soon come to know who has something to say and who does not. (re: 'here it comes' from rethnal ;) )

Whatever oil you use in the tranny..change it often!. Often means in the neighborhood of every 2-3 rides depending on what those rides are like. A five mile play in the woods isn't the same as an afternoon on the dunes.

whew whew

Clean your air filter (use notoil, imo) after every ride or two until you get an idea of what gets it dirty. Sometimes it will be after every ride...sometimes not. Buy an extra filter or two so you can have one ready to go all the time. (use notoil, imo...did I say that already? Gee..maybe that's important???)

Oh, when you do change the tranny oil, dump about 100ml or so of it in the case with the drain plug still out. Then put the plug back in and dump in the remaining 850ml (or so). Yes, that is more than what spec says. You will have a quieter running bike (the kdx is a noisy thing anyway) and you won't hurt anything.

Asking which 2-smoke oil to use is a waste of time. Everyone has their own (misguided) ideas that they are glad to (bother us with) share. Some (me) will set you straight (God bless myself). You should use Maxim SuperM mixed at 40:1.

You get the idea? (Thassa joke, son!)

Wear every bit of gear you can get your hands on. Dress for the crash!!

Have a great time!!

(After initial required maintenance...you should be ready to ride in a month or so! ;) y'ast yoking! )

whew whew and.....whew!

Top Bottom