Cessna

Jun 21, 2005
Can some tell me if I have to pull the Top End off my 05 KDX 220 to change the Piston & Rings?? I only have about 5 hours on the bike so far. Please tell me its not so.

Trail Rider

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
There has been some talk of the stock piston grenading on some folks. Most go to the Wiseco on the first top end job. My stocker still looked fine when I did the top end this spring, but I went ahead and replaced it anyway. Grenading piston=big $$. (I bought a leftover '03 in Spring '04, rode it for a year and then changed).

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I rode mine for 2 seasons, then pulled the top end apart and put weisco in. I didn't need to tear it apart, but sent the jug off for porting.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
The stock piston skirts are known to crack and fragment. Replace it now. If it splodes it can destroy your lower end too.$$$$$$$$. It's not a tough job. Be sure to get a Kawasaki service manual.

Be sure to get a Wiseco piston kit. Do not buy a Pro-X piston. Also, get a Wiseco bearing so it will fit the Wiseco wrist pin supplied in the piston kit. The bearing is about $12.00

Do not re-use the stock circlips (snaprings). The kit will have new ones in it. Check the circlip grooves for aluminum material left over from the piston machining process. Apply 2-stroke oil to grooves before putting circlips in and be sure you hear a "snap" when they seat in the groove. Rotate the circlips until the openings are at the 4:30 and 7:30 positions opposite the plier holes. Butter up the entire outside of the piston and inside of cylinder with 2-stroke oil. Butter up the rings before installing on the piston.

I probably gave you too much info. Oh well I had nothing better to do. Good luck.

Cessna

Jun 21, 2005
KDX Piston Breakage

Thanks for all the good Info on KDX 220 Piston Issues. Looks like a Top -End Tear down very soon.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Jackpiner57 said:
The stock piston skirts are known to crack and fragment. Replace it now. If it splodes it can destroy your lower end too.$$$$$$$$. It's not a tough job. Be sure to get a Kawasaki service manual.

Be sure to get a Wiseco piston kit. Do not buy a Pro-X piston. Also, get a Wiseco bearing so it will fit the Wiseco wrist pin supplied in the piston kit. The bearing is about $12.00

Do not re-use the stock circlips (snaprings). The kit will have new ones in it. Check the circlip grooves for aluminum material left over from the piston machining process. Apply 2-stroke oil to grooves before putting circlips in and be sure you hear a "snap" when they seat in the groove. Rotate the circlips until the openings are at the 4:30 and 7:30 positions opposite the plier holes. Butter up the entire outside of the piston and inside of cylinder with 2-stroke oil. Butter up the rings before installing on the piston.

I probably gave you too much info. Oh well I had nothing better to do. Good luck.

JP-The CIRCLIP Info was the best info you gave him. How many times have we read on this forum, about the CIRCLIP coming out & destroying the the motor. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
The stock KDX220 piston should be declared a wepon of mass destruction!!!
Don't wait until it happens to you. There is no rhyme or reason why some grenade and some don't but at the cost of the entire engine, a "C" note is cheap insureance.

BTW: KDX fixed the problem for 2006 :ugg:

Cessna

Jun 21, 2005
Woodquest,where did you obtain this information regarding kawasaki fixing the Piston problem in 2006 ???

Thanks
Cessna

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
Cessna said:
Woodquest,where did you obtain this information regarding kawasaki fixing the Piston problem in 2006 ???

Thanks
Cessna
Sorry, that was a joke. Kawasaki is fixing the KDX220 piston problem by not offering one for sale in 2006. Hence the sad face.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom