trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
My '97 220 sometimes dies while clutching going down steep hills. It idles fine and runs great under all other conditions. It may be getting worse because it died a couple times yesterday while crossing logs. It seems to only do it when you clutch while moving. Is this merely a jetting problem?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
You might try checking your carb's float level. Or you could boost the idle a little and see if it still does it.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
If you are idling in gear the clutch drag might cause it to stall. Try just standing still and put in gear with out reving. It will probably stall. That may be the reason but I don't know what to tell you about fixing it except up the idle or blip the gas a bit. Thats my opinion but I could be wrong.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I have stalling problems when my pilot circuit is too rich. Check your a/f setting and maybe try 1/4 turn CCW from where you are now..

I also noticed less stalling when I added a FWW.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
FWW, even on a 220? I thought that was the point of a 220. I'll try the air screw, it seems to me like it might be "flooding" a bit causing it to die. With the cooler air now, it may be time to reset the clip. I hate to change much because it's running so well the rest of the time.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'..even on a 220'

Yep.

'I thought that was the point of a 220.'

???

That point being....what? I have no understanding.

The 220 has a better bottom end than the 200 due to a few things:
1. Displacement
2. Small bore carb
3. 'Mushy' port timing

When you 'check' that float level..dropping it a couple mm will likely help, too. Did on my 200.

Hugely helped the common 'incontinence whilst sidestanding' issue, too.

'Peeing' if you prefer. ;)

Last edited:

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
FWW is flywheel weight. It's a plate that bolts onto the flywheel. The added weight makes the engine harder to stall, and smoothes out the powerband making the bike more tractable. The trade off, a slower revving engine, which is worth the benifits.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Oooohhhh! OK!! My '03 220 does seem to have a fairly heavy weight already compared to my '01 kx500. The 220 runs much smoother and revs up and down much slower. Thanks for the terminology lesson!!

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
Turning the airscrew out helped this past weekend. I rode with 5 other people, 4 four-strokes and 1 two-stroke. Their four-strokes died more often than the twos! They were running MX bikes though and we were on "trail" bikes. I think the problem was a mixture issue and not a flywheel issue. As the weather cools more, I'll probably have to richen up my main jet to avoid any lean running.

Curtb

May 24, 2002
I did'nt know you could get a fly wheel weight for the 220...seems like a good thing for the snow and slippery times. :thumb:
Who sells them?

I'm an 'old rider' too but I guess your never too old learn something new.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom