250 2t in lites class

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
do yall think there will be alot of amateurs racing the 250 2t in the lites class since they are allowed? do yall think there will be alot at loretta's?

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
time will tell, i have heard of a few of them out there but nothing earth shattering and no numbers that matter so far. but once they heads up on a race track we will know just how "unfair" it really is or isn't.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
That's a big difference. The 250 2t should kill the 250 4t unless the kid is to small to handle the 250 2t.

Perhaps the 250 4t will do fine if it's a tight track. The lites riders are putting down similar times compared to the Superclass riders, who knows.

Also that Vilapoto kid pulled a hole shot on a 250 4t against 450's at the MX Des Nations. I wonder what his power to weight ratio was, he's pretty small and his bike is making good power.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I wish I still raced MX. I'd be the first one at the dealership to buy a 250T. I "think" people will see REAL quick that a 250T is a big advantage over a 250F with both riders being of equal skill level.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
flynbryan said:
I wish I still raced MX. I'd be the first one at the dealership to buy a 250T. I "think" people will see REAL quick that a 250T is a big advantage over a 250F with both riders being of equal skill level.
And then see what the manufactures do.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
flynbryan said:

I agree!

My 500AF is in a 250F chassis and corners like a dream but the 250 2T should wipe up a 250F with everything else being equal.

allmoto616

Mar 25, 2007
I agree. the 2t should whoop a 4t... but, especially with lesser riders, it should be kept in mind that 4t are much easier to ride and made many a rider a seemingly much better rider. Including myself. and making the transition back to the 2t might be difficult for some riders.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
The new YZ and RM 250 2 stroke motors are smooth and pull from down low and keep on trucking. Their not as hard to ride as bikes in the past and you can ride them a gear high under most conditions thanks to refinements in their power valves engines. A PC or FMF pipe with V-Force reeds and you'll have all kinds of extra low end torque.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I'm a no talent hack but I can ride a 250 4t faster than a 250 2t.

And that right there guys is why i think both bikes can be in the same class. we will soon find out.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A 250 2t simply requires a more talented rider in better shape. Exactly why I switched to a 4t.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Bigred, I know a guy, who can bring a 2 stroke up to any 4t!

Me too!

I think you got it backwards. I've never gone on the record saying that I prefer a 4t over a 2t. As far as I'm concerned any 2t of equal size should whoop a$$ on a 4t.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Been years since we've been around the MX scene. The amateur classes WILL offer a 125 class? The old 125 class was such a good stepping-stone for a rider coming off an 80......... you had to learn aggresive riding, good lines, momentum. With the 250F, the power allows for lazier riding, and with the 250 2-t now allowed, we've lost the "learning" class. In this new class, I see "newer riders" on the 4t being hammered by experienced 2t riders stepping down to "cherry pick."

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
jaction125 said:
I'm a no talent hack but I can ride a 250 4t faster than a 250 2t.

:whoa:

lol, and see I'm just the opposite. I can ride a 2T MUCH faster than a 4 stroke. I've owned both and just can't make a F corner as fast as a 2t.

Unless they are trying to run loretta's classes I predict ALOT of guys on 250T's in the amature classes. ;) I just wish I could add to the list of guys on them. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I can't believe two stroke people are looking for an unfair advantage :think:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
when did this rule change happen? Is this for sx, nationals, or both? The last I had heard they had just allowed the smokers cc's to jump up to big bore kit sizes, but I had noooo clue that there had been a change to run equal cc's to cc's. The smokers will spank those 4t 250's. Now, what about 450 smokers running the big boys classes?!! If that were to be the case I think all the manufacturers would be dumb to drop their 2stroke programs!!!

Dec 8, 2007
Man I don't know about you guys but I'm really anxious to see how all this pans out. I'd love to buy a new cr125 with a steering dampener, that would be awesome.

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
Talent will make a big difference, but my $.02 worth is that the 2T will only be an advantage on outdoor or larger tracks. Our track at Storm Racing is a tight stadium track. For several years we've allowed 250F riders to ride both the 125 and 250 classes. (Yep, we're an outlaw non-ama track) In that time I've seen 250F's keep pace with a 250 2T. Our longest straightaway is around 75 yards (225 feet). That straightaway was the only place a 2T would pull a 250F, but it wasn't by much. If you run the same bikes on an open outdoor track, you'd probably find yourself unable to keep up with a 2T.

Something else I've noticed is that since the price of used 125's has nose dived, we're seeing more of them in the 125C class. The 125 has become a cheap bike to start racing with.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Combat767 said:
Something else I've noticed is that since the price of used 125's has nose dived, we're seeing more of them in the 125C class. The 125 has become a cheap bike to start racing with.

Resale on 125's has taken a complete nose dive. Its bad for those selling them, but good for guys like me buying them. ;) The cheaper maintnance costs and the cheaper initial cost is what talked me into a 125 again. Buying used its hard to beat. I can easily understand why there would be a new wave of them at the track.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Strange how we call a 125 "cheap"............I guess that's what it becomes when we now have something to compare it to. When I was racing 125s, I thought I'd go broke replacing top ends.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Strange how we call a 125 "cheap"............I guess that's what it becomes when we now have something to compare it to. When I was racing 125s, I thought I'd go broke replacing top ends.

I don't know..... I guess I was just a spode when I was racing 125's. :laugh:

I raced every other weekend and rode atleast 2-3 times a week not including races. I only replaced piston/rings twice a year(once in the summer and once in the winter). I NEVER had a single top-end failure and always placed well in our district 13 novice class. I've just never understood these people that had to replace top-ends so often. Maybe I was slower and easier on equipment than I thought..... :ugg:

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
A 250 2t is definitely more powerful than a 250f, but the 250f's power is much easier to manage. I think it will depend on the track on whether or not either one has an advantage or not. I'd still expect less experienced riders to be faster on the 4t's...

Aside... Do these new rule changes mean I can legally race my 300cc 2t against the 450 4t's?? That will definitely save me from having to take the "300" stickers off my bike and pretend it is a 250! :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…