2mm difference in carb bore....will it matter?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am contemplating a carb switch in my XR650L. The options are going with the 38mm XR600 carb or the 40mm XR650R carb. I don't want to use the Mikuni flat slide as it a two stroke carb and I don't want to spend the money on a pumper carb.

In general, I understand that a larger carb will allow more flow in the upper rpm range. I also understand that a smaller bore will create a faster velocity and possibly more torque at lower rpms. My question is, considering the horsepower of the 650L (which isn't much, 32-35 I think) will I really notice the difference between the two carbs? Will the 38mm allow essentially the same top end speed of the 40mm or the stock 41.5 CV with airbox and exhaust mods only (no cams or porting) or is a 35 hp engine capable of taking advantage of the larger bore? Is there a way to calculate the effect of changing carb bore size?

For comparison purposes, the stock 41.5 has a throttle flap and from what I understand...that effectively reduces it to 40mm.

In my mind, the benefit of using the XR600 carb is the smaller size and better fit in the frame, better access to the jets, the theoretical increase in low end responsiveness, and best of all eliminating the CV carb. I would prefer the XR600 carb unless it will lose top end speed....and I do use it all.

Just thought I'd see what input I could get from Rich or others before resorting to buying both and experimenting.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
If your engine is "really" that mild then the smaller carb will work just fine. The XR650L can be easily modified to much higher HP than the stock levels. All the common restrictions need to be addressed. With the mods you have and the way you claim to ride, I would guess the larger carb might do well. A limiting factor is always the intake port size and valve size. If the port is large enough I say go for it.

Chris

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
It really is that mild. From what I have read on the white brothers site and other places, I may get 40 hp out of it after the Exhaust and Intake mods. Anything beyond that lloks like I have to get into the engine which I am not interested in at this point.

Top speed is 90mph pinned and you almost need all of that to keep from getting run over on I85 or I77 sometimes, I'd hate to give up 5mph on top. I can get a few more mph by gearing shorter (as it won't pull max RPMs in 5th gear) but then it is really revving high and the gas mileage stinks.

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
a higher compression piston is well worth the money, pretty good bang for the buck even compared to exhaust mods, and the engine really isn't that bad to work on.  did you do the typical uncorking mods yet and rejet?

Top Bottom