2nd back up/ maintnance (learn how to bike)

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Hey guys, I have a 02' CR80 Expert. I want to learn how to be a good mechanic and have a second back-up bike. I just looked at an 83' XR200. It is in fairly good condition but it's nothing to brag about. He wants $800 dollars for it. It runs, and all of that. Is that a good deal, should I lower the price, should I even be looking at it? :think: Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
For $800, you could probably buy a '90-'96 80cc bike. Since you ride an 80cc 2-stroke already, this would be a good wrenching bike (unless you wanna learn to wrench on a 4-stroke). Plus the 80cc bikes are pretty basic to wrench on and newer bikes will be easier to find/order parts compared to the older '83 XR.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
The XR200 was listed as $700 and I'm buying it from my friend, but I'm not to sure now. Were else could I find a bike like that for cheaper?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Let all your friends know what you're looking for. The best deals I've gotten have been by word of mouth. Good deals in the paper don't last long and who's gonna spend the money to advertise a $200 pos. If you want to become a decent mechanic, buy a bike that is not running for $100 or less and build it back into something. Ebay is a great source for older bike parts. Once the word gets out you're looking for a beater, you'll be surprised how many people have one behind their garage/shed. By the way, $800 for an '83 XR200 seems a bit high. If it runs good I could see maybe $400. But if it's running, what are you gonna work on?

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Good point. I think its way too high. I know a guy with an old YZ250 that I could work on. I think that would be my best bet.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Another good point any mechanic will tell you is never get into a bike for more than it's worth. You have to look at what can you get for it when you're done. If you find a bike in the $100-200 range that needs work, if you can't get it going without draining your pocket book you can always part it out and make your money back. In fact there are quite a few bikes out there that are worth more in parts than whole. If you can do that, you can fund your "learning" to work on bikes. That way if you get too deep into one of them, parting another can fund the project. Just my 2 cents. It has worked for me. I will put 1 bike together out of 2 or 3 and then sell all the extras when I'm done. By completely dissassembling a bike you get to see how everything works(keep all your fastener, you can never have enough of them). Good learning opportunity. Hope some of this helps you.

Mark

Last edited:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you want to wrench on a four stroke there might be a little money involved.

If you found a KX100 or a 125 it would be a nice back up bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom