300 EXC Question

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Hey guys,
Just got my first KTM. 1991 300 EXC. I love it, but I have a question. I have to get the throttle around probably 1/2-2/3 before the power valve opens and the power hits. The jetting is good, thanks to the local KTM mechanic, and the reeds are also in good shape. I guess what I am asking is how can I get power sooner? Is the power valve adjustable? Am I forgetting something? Can someone please shed some light for a KTM rookie? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Collin :D

Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
Congrads on your first pumpkin. Lack of low end on a 300 isn't someting I expected to hear about, I would guess that you are correct in assuming that the power valve needs to be adjusted. But first, how much compression is it currently running?

I'm not sure what kind of powervalve they had in 91, but if it is the same "TVC" they used in 96 I can give you some info on adjusting it.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
In 91 they had shims to adjust the PV.. There is a place to put them on the right side.. I jsut may have some shims from my 91 in the garage. PM me if you need some and I'l take a look. I can't remember if you add shims or remove tem.. Also take your PV off and look at it.. 91's had weak valves and I broke one on mine.. It caused it to run like a 125. No low end at all..

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
Thanks for the replies. Katoom, I am not sure about actual numbers, but the compression is pretty dang good. Previous owner just gave it a fresh top end. Zilla, thanks for the info. If you could, please PM me about adjusting the power valve via shims, etc. Thanks for the info guys. Look foward to learning more.
Collin

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…