jeffboulder

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2002
Does anybody know what I would need to modify on my 300EXC to make it street leagal in Colorado? I have heard all I need is a horn and a brake light. Also, where could I buy these parts?

SOTW

Sep 13, 1999
You would need to have DOT tires, horn, brake light and mirror but if you just want to ride county roads or trails in the mountains all you would need is the license plate - OHV sticker doesn't hurt either. KTM's origin papers don't say "for offroad use only" so it is easy to get them titled and licensed. I've rode many places in Colorado with only a plate.

jeffboulder

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks SOTW, I just want to be able to ride on county roads. I guess all I need to do is take my papers down to the county office and tell them what I need? or do I need to bring the bike as well?

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Just gonna throw this in too.

As SOTW said the OHV sticker is a good idea, technically you don't need the sticker if you are plated but the rangers have let me slide on a couple of things (I was riding w/a buddy who was not stickered, they let him off because I had both plate and sticker + the $$ goes to the forest service)

You need to go to the drivers licence place and get the form to say you have the
1. Brake light (must activate from front or back brake)
2. Horn (even a bike horn)
3. Headlight
4. DOT tires (nobody does this but it MAY negate your insurance should you be in an accident)
5 rearview mirror.

No inspection is needed if you a sign the waiver.

You may need a VIN inspection, your dealer can usually do this, some charge for it. If you bought the bike from them see if they will waive the fee.

Since the bike does not have a title, you will have to pay to have one one gererated then you have to pay the "road bike" taxes that you didn't have to pay when you bought the bike.

It's been awhile but I think my XR was around $200 total?

I'll be starting on my KTM soon.

Moon

Dec 28, 1999
Just got my 01 250e titled (registered) last week, you need to get from a dealer, an application for title, a VIN varification form and an odometer statement, bring them to the DMV along with a bill of sale, proof of insurance and if you have the Certificate of Origin that seemed to help also. The women at the DMV was a little suspicious because she didn't recognize the bike (didn't mention to her anything about it being a dirt bike), I just told her it was made in Austria and she let me slide. It cost me $192.00.

They don't inspect your bike, You just have to sign a statement saying that you have a horn, brake light, head & tail light. I only got it for traveling on county roads from time to time. but just to be the safe side I went ahead and installed a mirror, brake light, and a hand held air horn on the bars. Keep in mind that this was Jeffco though, (there pretty strict about things) so in other places you may not need so much paperwork.

P.S. This weekend I'm gonna to take it down I-25, just kidding. You have to admit it would be quite a scene, especially from fellow riders!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
If you to get around the OHV sticker by using a plate then plan on having your paperwork in order if you get checked. Better have your DL, current plate, and insurance with you. A bud (CO resident) got stopped last fall on his XR and got two tickets - expired registration and no insurance. The OHV sticker would have saved him. They are pretty lax on inspection but it is nice to have all the stuff there and working - hi/low, brake light, horn, and mirror.

The EXC stock taillight and pigtail running to it should have room for the addition of a brake light circuit. Just add a pressure switch to the rear pedal - replace the banjo bolt at the master cylinder and bleed the system.

You'd be surprised at which tires are DOT these days. Besides the Pirelli MT21s, other Pirellis are too. I think my MT320 front is, and I think the MT18 rear is too. I guess that new Dunlop 606 is supposed to be a great tire and is DOT approved as well. Michelin has two lines of DOT dirt tires, but I think they are FIM legal also so the rear knobs are a little shorter than some of the others.

Where in CO are you? I'll be in the Woodland Park area most of August this year.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Yea what Tex said!

Check out www.cycoactive.com they have a trick water proof motorcycle wallet like thing called a motofile.

I keep my paperwork in it, it weighs nothing and velcros behind the numberplate. I bought two for Baja. I kept one under my seat with my extra cash and such. Figured if I met any banditos I'd be safe.

Tex make sure you contact me about Aug.

Moon where do you live? I'm off of Colfax and Kipling

Rod

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
If your just gonna ride out of the way roads and such I wouldn't worry about plating it. I have never had plates and ride on the dirt roads all the time, and never had any problems. I figure a ticket every five years or so is alot cheaper then plates insurance tax and all that B.S. :p Of course if your gonna ride long distances on more popular roads, you should probably go the legal route. I know this isn't what you were looking for just wanted to give you other alternatives if your a tight a$$ like me and wanna save some cash. Another tip if you bought your bike from a private owner don't tell them you paid as much as you did cuz you gotta pay sales tax on the bought for amount. ;) . They won't know the difference. :cool:

Moon

Dec 28, 1999
Rod,

I live over by Chatfield and Wadsworth. We'll have to get together and ride sometime, are you going to Moab with the CO trail riders in April?

Top Bottom