37" to 40" LCD HDTV question

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I'm looking for a 37 to 40 inch LCD HDTV. I have no idea what brands are good and what to stay away from. I'm not a baller so I want to keep the price below $1000.

So who has the hot deals and what should I be looking for?

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I just picked up a 42" vizio for 1099

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=35

My only compliant is that the remote doesnt include a pip button. The tv supports pip, and if you buy a different remote from vizio with the pip button it works.

Anyway, I know its a little above your budget, but it is a pretty nice 1080p set for 1099.

Here is what I look for in an lcd tv.

If you are going to use the tv as a computer monitor at all go for a 1080p set instead of a 720p set.

Go someplace that uses a hd signal to run their displays. A lot of big box stores us a 480p signal to run the cheaper display models and a 1080i signal to run the expensive ones so that the cheap ones dont look as nice as the expensive ones.

Check for backlight bleed through in the corners. Most cheap sets will have backlight bleed through, you just need to find one that has an acceptable level.

Make sure the tv has all the inputs that you will need. At a min you probably want 2 hdmi, svid component and rca. You might also want dvi.

Its important to check the tv with an hd picture and a standard def picture since most broadcasts are still in standard def.

You will want an hd source to use with your tv, so make sure the tv has a qam tuner for free hd over the air. If you dont have any free over the air hd broadcasts then you will need to get an hd receiver from either the cable company or dish.

If you have friends with lcds go over and check them out. Ask them what they like or dont like about the set and use it to formulate an idea of what you want or need in a set.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Good stuff.

Make sure the tv has all the inputs that you will need. At a min you probably want 2 hdmi, svid component and rca. You might also want dvi.

What is all this? I just want to be able to play the tv though my stereo speakers and hook up a DVD player to it. I don't do video games.

So many dam choices.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have a Philips plasma and it has had alot of problems. They have all been repaired under warranty. My bro-in-law has a Vizio or something LCD he picked up at a Sam's club. Never had a bit of trouble. In your pricerange you will be pretty limited on selection and features. What do you plan to do with it? Any gaming? Do you have an HD DVD player? HD tv? If so go for the highest number HD you can (480/720/1080). Around here Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears generally have the lowest prices.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Mostly just HDTV and DVD's. I'm to old for video games. I doubt that my DVD player is HD.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just try to get something at least 720p. 1080 is much nicer, but probly out of your pricerange. Any lcd tv will have more inputs than you need.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
thumbs said:
Good stuff.

What is all this? I just want to be able to play the tv though my stereo speakers and hook up a DVD player to it. I don't do video games.

So many dam choices.

hdmi is a digital connection used for high def video sources. It carries digital video and audio sources. At a minimum you will want 2, one for hdtv(cable or satellite hd receiver) and 1 for hd-dvd/bluray

You will also want standard low def imput sources like rca, s-video and component. These sources allow you to connect your dvd or vhs player.

Most tv's should come with an analog out and a digital out so you will be fine hooking it up to your stereo receiver.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Thumbs:

Please don't be like the countless people on this forum who ask for advice, are given the correct advice, then disregard that advice, repeatedly, repeatedly again....until someone gives them the crappy advice they really want to hear. MKELLey04 has given you outstanding, precise information. It makes absolutely zero sense to pop down the big bucks for hdtv / lcd without the proper inputs. It also makes no sense to go low dpi when you want HDTV to begin with. $100 more is not going to break the budget, particularly when you are still a little on the front of end of the technology without a plethora of hd channels. The new channel roll-outs are beginning this month for satellite and cable. Free hd is still very limited in marketplace.

We've got two hdtv widescreens. You've been given perfect advice above. Print it out and follow it.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah Thumbs, don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer you want to hear. You really need to learn about this site some more pal. Good luck with your purchase and take the advice of the posts please.
Elk

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
a454elk said:
Yeah Thumbs, don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer you want to hear. You really need to learn about this site some more pal. Good luck with your purchase and take the advice of the posts please.
Elk
I'm a slow learner and have only been around here for a short time. I think it has only been 7 years.......lol.

Thanks for the advise guys.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I've been impressed with the Visio Line. We have a 47 inch that I put side by side with a more expensive unit and could hardly see any difference. It was $1K less than the other big name box. I have no regrets at all and based on this one experience would definitely recommend the brand.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I got a Polaroid 32" LCD HDTV with built in DVD player for my bedroom. I got it at WalFart for $649. I'm shopping for a 40" for my living room now. I was not sure about the Polaroid brand, but it's a GREAT TV!! No issues, great color, easy to hook up (because some one else did it, hehehehe) ;)

I've heard nothing but good on the Vizio line. There was also an article in the Wall Street Journal about Vizio being the dark horse leader. Sony Bravio Schmavio.... :fft:

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
1.) samsung
2.) sony always good.
Check amazon.com for either of the above.

3.) ding ding ding- best value Vizio, 37 inch under a thousand. Sam's Club.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
What kind of receiver are you using? Are you going to go full surround? I've got a deal for you on a center channel and subwoofer..... oh wait....that's probably a bad here...;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
TwinSpar said:
I've been impressed with the Visio Line. We have a 47 inch that I put side by side with a more expensive unit and could hardly see any difference.

You have to turn them on you idiot.

Texans... :|

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…