levy1

Sep 30, 2001
Today I take advantage of a offer from Garrett (GMoss) to ride his 2006 EXCW 300. You meet the nicest people on KTM talk. The guy knows I am confused and offers me a chance to ride his brand new bike and changes the power valve for me. Thanks Garrett!

I have been trying to figure out the best two stroke for a 58 year old to ride tight, nasty, muddy hare scrambles without getting to tired. This all came about when I was ridding a hare scramble in Columbus Ohio. It was slick, muddy, root infested, and on one hill, 65 % of the riders had to drop out including me. I could not keep the rear wheel from spinning and I have this problem on tight muddy, rocky root infested steeps. Granted I am not a good rider and that is most of the problem but if I can get some help with a different bike then I will buy one. I just could not get up the hill. Well while waiting for the race to end so I could return going the wrong way and avoiding the hill I had a front seat to the race. I sat there and watched the KTM 2 strokes go up the hill at 1/2 the speed of everyone else with no wheel spin. Just could not believe it!

Now I get on a quest to buy a 2004 200 EXC (fits my budget) and then Garrett lets me ride the 300. To me coming off a four stroke the 2 stroke was amazing. I rode it up some little steeps in second and 3rd slow enough that someone could have been walking beside me and it never faltered. Just climbed right up as slow as I wanted to go and the engine would not stall.
Decision: I do not want to be worn out from a 5-hour ride or a 2-hour hare scramble . I would think a 300 would wear me out from the reciprocating mass of the engine as my old WR 400 did. So we know after I sell my bike my budget will afford a 2003 or 2004 KTM 200 or 300 EXC. I have been told to stay with those 2 years or later for the improvements. Will the 200 EXC with mods be easier to ride or the 300 EXC?
200 EXC Mods
J bone or Munn motor mods $500.(If I don’t get the motor mods on the 200I would have to ride it like a 125 and I am not looking for that. I want down low easy creepy power and flickable comfort.)
Get the steering at 18-degree angle somehow $300-$450.
Re-Valve, respiring, and needle with new and progressive suspension $700. (200LBS)
Some good riders say this is the best way to go for me.
300EXC
No motor work needed
Re-Valve re work suspension $700.
Do not know about the steering, I really liked the 2006 I rode but I will have to buy a 2003 or 2004.
I know there will be some cockpit changes and maybe some gearing and other changes but which way to go? Thanks for your opinion. Fred

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you like to rev much more than lug, get the 200.
If you like to lug some, but mostly keep it in the mid, get the 250.
If you like to lug lots, and could care less about top-end past peak power, get the 300.

If you try to ride the 300 like a 250, it will wear you out quickly. If you ride it a gear high and use the torque, the 300 is a pretty "calm" bike.

Me, I'd do the 300 with reworked suspension.

levy1

Sep 30, 2001
Masterphil said:
If you like to rev much more than lug, get the 200.
If you like to lug some, but mostly keep it in the mid, get the 250.
If you like to lug lots, and could care less about top-end past peak power, get the 300.

If you try to ride the 300 like a 250, it will wear you out quickly. If you ride it a gear high and use the torque, the 300 is a pretty "calm" bike.

Me, I'd do the 300 with reworked suspension.

I like that is seems to put everything together. I called MX and the suspension is $750. to do it right. The motor guys are telling me after they redo the engine the 200 will lug all day long with no need to rev. Thats is what is confusing me.

Where are you when I need you JBone?

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
levy1 said:
I like that is seems to put everything together. I called MX and the suspension is $750. to do it right. The motor guys are telling me after they redo the engine the 200 will lug all day long with no need to rev. Thats is what is confusing me.

Where are you when I need you JBone?

I would buy the 300 EXC. You shouldn't need motor mods for this bike as it will lug with the best and have plenty of boost when you wick the throttle open. It doesn't go crazy when you snap it open it just happens faster, many people call it a 3-stroke motor.

As for suspension mods, PM me and I can put you in touch with someone who really knows their KTM stuff and should be cheaper than $750.

As for steering geometry, you might consider this option. I have no experience with it, but the concept is interesting to me and it is cheaper than a new set of triple-clamps. CLICK ME It is an eccentric axle that allows quick steering geometry changes. Something to consider.

Moteaux

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's all about personal preference. They are all good.

Personally, I prefer the 250. Great bike. Fast but not tiring to ride. Will climb some impressive hills, too.

FWIW, Dave Wood, a 45+ year old rider, took the overall at the most recent enduro in D-36 (northern California, forest). He was mounted on a Dick's Racing suspended 250xcw.

rbn14

Jun 16, 2005
Maybe the new 200 are different but my friends 2000 200exc has no topend at all, you have to short shift it otherwise it just revs high with no extra power.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I have had two 300s (a 97 and a 2000), currently have an 05 250, and my son has a 03 200. I have really liked all of them for different reasons.

I found the 300 tired me out - even as a lugger. But, it sure is a forgiving engine - so what if you are two gears to high, twist the happy handle and it responds! The 250 is DRAMATICALLY less fatiguing for me. I do understand the 04 and newer 300s power is a bit smoother than the 2000s though. The 200, set up right does have rather nice low end power and can still rip on top. I really enjoy riding that bike. Smaller wheelbase, etc. makes it very responsive in tight tuff. It rides "light" i think in part because of its power delivery. The 250 is the best of both worlds for me. You can lug it similar to a 300 when you want, you can rip on it like a 200, you can be lazy and ride it in to high of a gear (not quite as well as the 300, but better than the 200). Right now if i were to buy a new bike, I would actually consider all 3! In the end, I suspect i would come back to a 250.

No wrong choices here - go 04 and newer, 200,250 or 300, set it up right (do springs first, leave valving for later) - go have fun!

levy1

Sep 30, 2001
Man, just when I thought the 300 was the bike for me along you come saying the 250 is way less tiring to ride then the 300. Now I am very confused. So far, in all the posts, TT, Dirt rider, and KTM talk you are the only one who says the bike tires you out. But realize I am 58 and cannot have fun if I can’t ride the bike all day for 50 miles. At first, I was convinced the 200 with motor mods was the one, then I thought the 300 would be the best. Now I just don’t know. . I do know I am tired of my top-heavy feeling, wheel spinner in the steep mud, Honda 250X 4 stroke. Give me more help please. Thanks, Fred, levy1@earthlink.net

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i have always had two strokes until i bought a 04 ktm 450 and yeah the bike didnt seem to climb as well until i got used to it. you have to ride a four stroke differently, go into hills with a little more momentum. if i were to do it all over again i would buy a 200 exc because of the fact that is smaller and alot less to maintence.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I went through the same decision a while back, but was moving from a 4 stroke 250 to a 2 stroke.

I ended up with a Gas Gas EC300. In similar fashion, someone off DRN let me ride his bike for a while.

Although it's a differnt make, my 300 can lug around all day and has plenty on top for me. I did put a slower throttle on it and that really helps keep the bike under control in the tight, nasty stuff. better throttle control keeps the big from yanking on your mars as much. I highly recommend one. G2 is the one of choice, but I fitted one off a trials bike.

The 2 strokes (regardless of size) will feel lighter than the 4 storke due to less reciprocating mass and, in general, a lower center of gravity. My bike weighs about the same as my buddies YZ250F, but feels 20 pounds lighter on the trails.

mcp

CodyY

Aug 5, 2004
Reciprocating mass of the 300 is nowhere near the same feel as a four stroke. The 200 feels like a ballsy 125.

Keep an eye out for people parting out bikes for those offset triples. They're cheaper and easier to find than you think. Search "what bike to buy" at KTMTALK and you'll have days of reading on the 300 vs. anything.

Top Bottom