kuchera89

Jul 9, 2004
i had to replace my clutch so i ordered one. it got here today.. i noticed at the shop that the box said yz 125 and not kx125 so I asked and they said it would fit. so i drained the oil, took out plates and springs. when i put the old plates next to the new ones i noticed a major size defferance. so i called them up, they looked it up and told me they wouldn't fit(thanks sherlock) so i have to take it back and get another but it probly won't be here by this weekend :ugg: . so i put the old clutch back in so i could ride this weekend. I was wondering sence im going to drain the oil in a couple of days, would it be ok to use 4stroke oil in my kx 125. or use 4stroke oil all the time?

(i already have a gallon of 4stroke oil for my klx125, 5w-30 and 20w-40) thanks

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Okay. No you shouldn't have any problem...in theory. In actual practice, the SWITCH of oils may cause problems. It may not.

It is all whether or not the two DIFFERENT oils that the clutches are going to be exposed to have any compatability issues.

If I was going to do it, I would wash the clutch plates in mineral spirits, dry them thoroughly(maybe in a low temp oven if you have one) and then soak them in the oil you will be using.

I assume since you are replcaing the clutch that the plates are already iffy. In another thread, I told a guy how to break the glaze on them, maybe go find that and read it.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=101577

Or, maybe spend some $$ on the right oil(the oil you will be buying anyway for your new clutch anyway).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom