5w-30 and Cold Temps

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
In the cold temps. I have trouble with my bike not warming up. I switched from 10w-40 to 5w-30 (Mobil 1 5w-30) and it warms up correctly. It is around 35 degrees right now, and would like to know at what temperature I should switch back to a heavier oil. The Mobil 5w-30 bottle says it will protect at oil temperatures of up to 420 degrees, so theoretically I could use it all year round. Also Im running a 9 plug, because that is what the manufacturer reccomends for my 125. Would switching to an 8 help? Could this hurt the motor? Thanks for any help.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I doubt you'll have a problem running a lighter oil. Keep an eye on the clutch plates to see if they act different slip or wear faster.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Boy, it sure is nice living in California! Geez, it got down to 55 today. Brrrrr :yeehaw:

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
5W-30, Thats what i run year around. I use any cheap oil, depends where i am at,whatever is cheapest because i change my oil after every ride in my cr 250. It has never caused and damage or premature wear on my clutch.

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Year round? Wow. That oil seems thin for hot temps. I wonder what Rich and Jaybird think...............

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…