$6000 To Spend

RubenCR

Apr 17, 2007
Hi people if you don't know already, i'm moving to california in 3 months and was considering to buy any motocross bike for $6000 preferably a CR125 '06 or '07 for trails and MX just wondering on what your opinions would be and suggestions for any other motocross bikes, thanks.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you could purt near buy any used machine for 6k easy. Pick your favorite color.

bobbyhill925

Aug 28, 2005
You gotta always have a spark arrestor. all mx bikes (two or four stroke)2003 and new receive a red sticker, which allows you to only ride half of the year oct-april usually.Green stickers are given to ANY bike 2002 or later. and epa approved trail bikes like the wr250f or crf250x would be my suggestion beacause those are both green sticker trail bikes and are mx capable ( tho for track only a True mx bike would be optimal)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What part of California? There are many riding areas that are open to green or red sticker bikes year round.

The 'sticker' issue is unique to California. Basically, if a riding area is near a population center that has bad air quality, you need a 'green sticker' to ride year round. The dates of when an area is restricted to green sticker only varies from riding area to riding area.

FWIW, many of the best trail riding areas in California are mountainous. So many riders prefer a little more torque and power than the 125cc two strokes offer.

Here is a map showing many of our riding areas www.employees.org/~calridng/calmap.html

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Brendan123 said:
Cr125 is a 2 stroke i thought u couldnt use 2 stroeks in cali?

California has the "Green" or "Red" sticker registration requirement. The green sticker is issued to any bike that is model year 2002 or older or to newer bikes that meet the emission requirements. No two strokes that I am aware of meet the emission requirements.

If you have a red sticker bike it means that many of the areas will be closed to you during a portion of the year. The exact "season" varies with location but it generally excludes the summer and a portion of the spring and fall.

Red or Green sticker bikes still need an approved spark arrestor to ride on most public lands. This includes the desert, which confuses me because there is nothing out there to burn.

The private MAX tracks and many of the races on a closed course are exempt from the registration/sticker issues so a serious racer doesn't need to worry. For the recreational rider, however, I recommend buying a green sticker bike.

Rod

Brendan123

Apr 10, 2007
Wow sucks do llive in cali if u wanna dirt bike. Luckily i live in bc canada and the ruules are no where near as strict.

Kong

May 9, 2007
elcamino12sec said:
For 6 grand I would recomend you go out and buy a brand new left over crf250 or the cfr250x

You can almost buy an 07 CRF250x for that amount.
New Head, accelerator pump, smog pump.. very legal, runs great.

mojave ron

Dec 25, 2006
well i live in mojave ca.....thousands of miles of riding. anything from desert to forest...i have in my 20 years of riding never been bothered by anybody..never once was a green/red sticker a problem...infact only problems we ever have had was when we got caught riding on the road at jowbone canyon...which after talking to the judge was a whopping $10. im not saying ca. is not the worste state to live in if you wish to ride dirt bikes..but i am saying i dont understand where all this anti 2-stroke in ca. is coming from....

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
rmc_olderthandirt, there are green stickered 2 strokes. I think KTMs are along with the AFX500.

that is news to me! Can you give me a specific KTM model that is two stroke and green sticker eligible?

What is an AFX500? Never heard of it.

Keep in mind that any bike that is year 2002 or older is grandfathered into the green sticker. It is only bikes of 2003 or newer that have the restriction. The only two strokes that meet the California EPA requirements that I am aware of are some direct injected outboards.

Rod

Kong

May 9, 2007
I paid $6300 for my new 07 CRF250x. I didn't even dicker on it so I think you could beat that. Would be totally legal in CA and awesome on the trails.

$6000 will buy you a lot of bike. If you want to seriously ride trails in CA you might want to seriously consider a 4 stroke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…