6'3" and 190 lbs

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Hi , first post here. I'm 44 years old 6'3" and 190 lbs. I haven't rode in 20 years but I did ride from the time I was 11 till I was 24. Looking at the KDX 220 and the KLX 300. If anyone out there thats my size let me know if it would be a good choice or if you have other thoughts. I test rode a 93 CR250 the other day and it was just to darn fast for what I want to do which is trail riding and a little play motocross on local homemade tracks. My last bike was an 83 RM250 back in 83. To tell you the truth I never even considered joining Team Green, but when I went to look at the Yamaha's they had the KDX and KLX there and I really liked the prices. I can get the 2005 KDX 220 for $3995 or they have a 2003 KLX 300 for $3200. Are those good prices ? Let me know what you think before I buy one please. If anyone of you guys play Motocross madness online I'll see you in the zone, if not check it out!
Thanks
OTHG MIKE

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
I know I'm in the KDX forum but if someone my size thinks the bike is underpowered or they are sorry they didn't get a 400 or 450 I hope they would let me know. I'm kinda partial to the two strokes myself. I dont know of any other brand that has on offroad two stroke anymore, I'm not sure about KTM but they are too expensive anyways. I won't go to a full fledged motocross bike because these old bones might not take it. ;)
Mike

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Mike, welcome aboard. We've got a lot in common, age experience,size and getting back into playing with dirt bikes at 40+ ! I currently own and ride often, an '04 KDX 220, it is a real blast stock and then easy to hop up as you want more out of it. I think you will be disappointed with the KLX's performance in comparison ( I have access to and sometimes ride an '04 KLX). If the dealer will allow a test ride of the '03 take it out and see what you think. The KLX is a good off road thumper but I 'm sure you will enjoy the KDX more if you plan on some moto type use and you will really want the 2 stroke rush :laugh: The KDX also has plenty of low end for general off-roading. Those prices sound OK but I would look for a GOOD used KDX for 2k-3k and buy some gear and upgrades (you will want taller bars for example and maybe a pipe) with the difference. There are plenty of low usage KDX's out there, thats how I found my '04. Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.BTW, as far as "going green", I was wide open to any brand when I was shopping around and rode all kinds of '99-04, 125s-650s, before I settled on the KDX. Jim G

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Thanks Jason and Jim. I wasnt sure if it was just 130 lb. kids riding these 220s or if it was for full size riders. I know a 250 is plenty but a 220 sounds small. Guess I'm just an old schooler where the biggest bike was always the best, or thats what we thought. I'm going next week to the dealer just over the boarder in Vermont so I wont have to pay sales tax. I would rather get a new one than used because they have some real great deals on financing. I think the 2 stroke is the way to go for me now. Thanks again guys.
Mike

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Like JasonWho hinted at earlier, I think you will find many of the users of this forum are older, family types who are getting back into the sport after a break. Some 'kids' here, but not a lot.

I'm 37, 6'2" and 215lbs and I love my '03 KDX200. The only thing I can't do on it (yet) that I want to do is wheelie simply from rolling on the throttle, and everyone here says that is because I don't have it jetted correctly (yet).

Stay away from 4-strokes. Yes, they are technological marvels and they certainly have their followers, but they are more maintenance intensive and more expensive to maintain than a 2-stroke. They aren't the XR you rode on 20 years ago!!! Some will take offense at these claims, but if you look through the DRN site you will see this for yourself. AND, a seasoned KTM mechanic told me today that if he weren't his own mechanic, there is no way he would ride a 4-stroke...they are just too expensive to keep up!

Welcome to the club! :ride:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am not as large as you, but certainly older. You will enjoy your KDX. You might want to take previous advice and buy a used one as these bikes have been the same since '96. They are very easy to tailor to your style, ability and investment choices. Things you can count on are ease of maintenance, reliability, availability of parts and aftermarket goodies, and most of all fun! Enjoy your ride. John

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Not too much in the way of used around here. There is a 2001 for $2500 and some older ones. I plan on keeping this bike forever so I don't mind the few extra bucks for the new one.
Mike

Last edited:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I am 41, weigh 195 and I am 6' tall. My 200 pulls me around just fine, plenty of power. I ride with a guy also in his 40's that has a 02 YZ 250. The KDX does much better in the Az. mountain and desert tight stuff than the YZ. He can smoke me on long straight's but all around the KDX is a much better ride in my opinion.

Enjoy the kDX when you find one and welcome to the forum.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Like some others who have answered, I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs. I recently bought a '01 with an FMF pipe, after not owning a motorcycle since high school (I'm 33).

The KDX is a great bike to get back into the sport with. Stock, it has plenty of power to have fun; add a pipe, the fun increases; add other stuff (as I've learned from others on this forum, not yet through experience), and it's even more fun.

Reading through this forum was the biggest reason I bought mine. The options for more power are almost limitless. Sure, the suspension isn't the latest and greatest, but it gets the job done in spades.

Trust me, you will never regret the decision. Get 'er done!! :aj:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with you getting the kdx...I LOVE my kdx but I am only 125lbs and 5ft8 inches (and a mom). I've been racing/riding since I was 6 (I'm 37 now) You are a big guy and therefore should consider looking at the big guy bikes (450 cc). I know these other guys are telling you "get it" but, I think because you have previous experience you may "outgrow" this bike really fast so to speak. My husband is 6'3 195lbs and he looks like a huge giant on my bike whereas on his wr450 he looks and rides a bit better. I know and realize this goes against everything this kdx site stands for and I apologize but...the kdx is NOT for every body size. Just my oppinion and don't mean to step on any toes...

Petra :worship:

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I'm 6'0 ,170 and my KDX feels small and in the tight stuff a small bike is not bad. However:
I have problems downshifting sometimes because I step on the frame instead of the shifter!
You will need to install new fork springs because you are heavy.And if you are used to riding 250s or bigger bikes you might not be satisfied with the power.I wasn't,and I failed to make some hills on the first try because it didn't have enough power.
My KDX is fixed up nice and I'm going to keep it as a spare bike.For the tight woods and slow riding it is great.
I don't know where,how often, or how hard you ride but those should be the determining factors for choosing a new bike.

A KDX is for sure the most bike for the money but you might outgrow it. I know I fit better on a full size bike.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I'm 5' 10" 200# ..... And it is just right for my size. 5' 8" is a little shy for optimum ride height IMO. I think your husband may look big on your KDX due to the fork angle and wheel base on the KDX. This is common. When I see someone on a KDX the bike looks small to me too. If vanity is your pursuit.. then maybe you are looking at a bike for the wrong reason. My KDX hauls @ss with me on it and is absolutely perfect for what I want to do with it. It has never let me down once! NEVER.
I know lots of guys who ride to ride and really could care less what they look like on it but to each their own I guess....

Sep 15, 2004
I bought an '05 KDX 200 and I love it.I take it on trails but more recently I take it on mx tracks.I,m 185 pounds and this bike is the best bang for your buck!!Plus its a 2 stroke!!What more could you want???Change the pipe and Hold on!!!!! :yikes:

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for all the information. The KDX sounds like a good all around bike and I don't see too many for sale in my area so people are hanging on to them. I know what you mean kdx200chick about looking big on the bike. I took a CR250 for a ride the other day and my buddy said the bike looked small for me but it reall felt like it was the right size, except it was way too fast for trail riding. I guess for the money I can't go wrong even if I have to do a few mods to get it right. I don't want to spend six grand for an open bike and never use the power. I'll just be a weekend rider, when the wife lets me, so the KDX 220 should fit the bill.
thanks
Mike

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
OTHG MIKE said:
I don't want to spend six grand for an open bike and never use the power. I'll just be a weekend rider, when the wife lets me, so the KDX 220 should fit the bill.
thanks
Mike

Very well said !!! The KDX will be just fine. I'm 6'5, not quite as heavy as most but it fits me perfectly with taller seat foam, bar risers, HI bend bars and extended foot levers. Plus you will find more info on DRN about the KDX than just about any other dirtbike around. Go the KDX !!! :aj:

eachofya

Mod Ban
Sep 30, 2003
My '97 220 scares me more than my '04 R1, and I weigh 275. There is definitely no lack of power there, especially not after adding the FMF pipe and silencer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…