80 rm 250

metalhead

Nov 30, 2007
:think: ok so , i got an old rm 250 to fix up for 200$ only needed a chain and it went. i drove it for 2 hours, and it stalled and i didn't have a kickstarter on it and knowone around to push me , so i parked it. A friend of mine,,( he is experriance with assembly and dissasembly) took it apart( the carb off, pipe off, and put a new head gasket on it and gave it a paint job . he put it all back together and it wouldn't start. funny thing is , it has spark 150 pounds of compression and its getting gas from the carb. i put gas right into the cylinder and it still wouldn't even fire. is there something stupid i missed or something/? anyone know anything i could try? :think:

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
well there are a ton of things that could cause your current dilemma but lets work from the basics start with a new plug then clean the carb jets, then fresh gas, from there seek mechanic help.

hope this helps
D

metalhead

Nov 30, 2007
i tried 3 differnt plugs, cleaned the carb many times,, and put in new gas,,, it should still fire if everythings good when i put gas in the cylinder though right?

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I once had a 1983 rm125, I had trouble with the spark plug boot. When I would check the spark it was good, then when I slid the boot on I would not get spark. The angle of the wire was bending the boot where it was cracked and not allowing current to flow. Also, try starting fluid, if it fires with that you know its fuel related. If it does not fire with starting fluid you know its not getting spark. Dont flame me for suggesting starting fluid guys, remember its a 200.00 bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…