84 IT200 silencer repack ?

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I have an IT200, the silencer has no packing in stock form.
I was thinking of motifying the pipe insert by drilling holes in it and then packing material around the pipe. The reason for doing this is to try and cut the noise level down or at least creating a more pleasing sound.
If anyone id familiar with the look of this unit and can comment on what would happen. Please Avise.
Also if anyone has any other ideas for niose reduction without perf loss.

Thanks !

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
What section of the pipe are you talking about specifically?

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
The end pipe (spark arestor ?) that slides into the fat part of the pipe connecting to the mufler. This piece does partly go into the mufler. The part I am talking about is about 7 or 8 inches long. I don't have my manual with me or bike close right now.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Can’t picture it, but on other silencers I have cut out sections & run perforated tube before it gets to the spark arrestor & packed around that to quieten them down.

You should be able to buy the perforated tube cheaply, perhaps from a muffler manufacturer in the right sort of diameter to match up & weld or jam it in place.

Try to leave the arrestor in for obvious reasons & the reversal of flow will quieting it a few dB. An endcap with another reversal onto the end of the muffler may help as well.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
What is the spark arestor exactly ?
This piece has a cone shape end, the smaller end goes into the pipe first. That cone is attached to a 1' tube about 5 " long (no holes) that attaches to the end cap that has the directional hole that directed the exhaust down to the side. There is one screw holding the unit in place. There is some open space between the 1" tube and the outer wall of the pipe that I was thinking or wrapping. The outer pipe is about 2.25".

Hope this explains it.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sorry it’s the morning & my brain didn’t follow any of that.

In general a perforated core with some fresh packing & a couple of reversals should be the ticket for minimal restriction & reasonable reduction of noise, which is the main thing these days.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I have a .BMP drawing of what I am talking about but no way to attach ?

Steve

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Sorry scairns but you have to be a subscriber to post pictures! You should do it, it only costs $12 per year ($1 per month)
A picture would be helpful.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…