majick

Mar 14, 2003
Hi ,
I would apperciate some help on this bike. I am currently putting it back to its original glory ( love tinkering ) , Anyways I would like to hear any tips or info on the bike, how rare is the red version anyways?? also i have some spare parts for the 82 175 , complete front end , front / rear wheels , and some misc odds and ends
Thanks in advance for your help
Eric

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
I have a red 84 kdx also. I rode it for a while then it had some problems (electrical I believe). I ended up buying a 2000 kdx with the intention on rebuilding the 84. I am still working on the rebuilding part, so I might be asking questions soon. I believe the red ones are fairly rare as I got many comments when she was running.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Majick, what problems are you having or what things are you rebuilding? I rebuilt a 1985 last fall and it is essentially identical to the '84. Yes, I had to have the ignition coil on the stator rewound, I rebuilt the top end and replaced swingarm bearings and re-lubricated everything else. eBay was a blessing for getting parts. The '83-'85 machines are all extremely similar. The '86-'88 models were pretty close with the exception of the front wheel disk brake and the KIPS exhaust valve. I picked up a '91 frame and partial engine and was able to use many of the pieces off of it on my '85. Give us specifics and we can provide input.

Good luck,

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I wanted a new red '84 but had to settle for green as the red ones were all sold out. The red is certainly more rare - I have only seen a couple in person, and not for many years. I think I paid around $1,650 for the bike, total of $1,850 brand new out the door, including CA sales tax and registration.

Needing to rewind the stator is a very common problem on KDX's of that vintage.

Overall, the '84 KDX was well thought of by most riders and Fredette was top placed American in the ISDE that year (silver medal). Brakes were weak even by mid '80's standards, and the forks needed stiffer springs and/or to raise the oil level. Keep the UniTrak linkage and rocker serviced and lubed - my friend found out those parts are expensive if not maintained. The bike handled well and made good power for its size. Many riders would drill holes in the upper side of the airbox cover.

Its only real competitor was the Yamaha IT200. By '84 the XR200 was outgunned and not a competive race bike, and the PE Suzuki was also off the pace. The '84 was a popular and well loved bike. Congratulations on finding a red one.

majick

Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by MX175
Majick, what problems are you having or what things are you rebuilding? I rebuilt a 1985 last fall and it is essentially identical to the '84. Yes, I had to have the ignition coil on the stator rewound, I rebuilt the top end and replaced swingarm bearings and re-lubricated everything else. eBay was a blessing for getting parts. The '83-'85 machines are all extremely similar. The '86-'88 models were pretty close with the exception of the front wheel disk brake and the KIPS exhaust valve. I picked up a '91 frame and partial engine and was able to use many of the pieces off of it on my '85. Give us specifics and we can provide input.

Good luck,

majick

Mar 14, 2003
Hey Guys ,
Thanks for the responses,The bike is currently undergoing a total restoration. New Crank kit , Wiesco piston kit , Found a new OEM cylinderfor 100.00, rebuilt rear shock swingarm bushings , etc . The works , Hopefully it will look showroom , Any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated
Thanks again

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I didn't make my '85 into a beauty. I just wanted something to ride. But I did find that there is a 3M plastic polish (bought from NAPA auto parts) that works pretty well. If other people have ideas for restoring a nice gloss to plastic, I'm listening. My tank has some pretty deep gouges, but the polish helped between the scratches. If anyone has suggestions for Kawasaki stickers for the tank, I would be interested too, especially if they'd hide some scratches and not start to peel the next day.

majick

Mar 14, 2003
Well i found toohtpaste works well on clear plastic face shields not the greatest but ya can see again , try it on the plastic I did and It works good and Its cheap too . Also try some fine grit sandpaper,Plastic is like bondo start big , and work your way down to like a 1000 grit or finer , kinda like polishing aluminum ( can never spell that , dammit ) then try some Johnsons Paste Wax , if ya can find the good stuff . Experiment , see what works and let us know . I tried all of the above , but not all works for everybody depends on what ya wanna clean up , you got to break it down into the basics plastic is plastic , it just takes a little elbow grease . good luck and good riding

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom