Rus01

Jul 11, 2006
is 85 pounds compression on a 1981 pw 50 ok? It dosn't have much for power sometimes.It seems like it's over fueling cause when i turn the gas of little bit it revs very nicely? But usally it craps out at higher rpm?

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
85 psi is plenty. The PW is extremely sensitive through the entire rpm range to air screw tuning. If it is sputtering at high rpm you need to turn the screw out until it runs clean. Make sure that the air cleaner is clean. Get the bike warmed up on the stand and rev it to see if it cleans out quickly. If it doesn't, back the screw out 1/8-1/4 and recheck. Keep doing this until it runs clean. If the bike is all stock you will most likely need to rejet it leaner. The stock jet is a 70, and a 65 should work better.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
We just got back from Lorettas. We ran the stock 70 main jet in our pdub. My son went 5 11 2 for 5th overall. The 11th place in the second moto was my fault. I picked a bad gate with a nasty rut. It shook his confidence a little but he bounced back in the 3rd moto.

Rus01

Jul 11, 2006
I still haven't changed the jet to #65 cause the yamaha dealer didn't think it would be a very good idea. so i'm still having the same problem with the bike. it still seems that it is over fueling and has no top end power. i'm thinking now that needle valve with the rubber tip attached to the float is worn out, so i orderd a new one. Is it true that if you move the c clip (in the throtlle sleeve with the spring inside) to the top of the needle,it will lean the carb out? is this true

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
If you raise the clip on the needle it will lean out the fuel mixture.

Does it rev out good when it's on a stand?

May want to check the reeds.

Rus01

Jul 11, 2006
I raised the clip on the needle and it still does not rev out on the stand?
Will reeds help and what is there purpose.

Top Bottom