86 KDX200: DG silencer mounting? HELP!

MichiGator

Jun 23, 2003
Hey gang,
I just bought a Type II DG silencer for my old KDX as the old silencer had seen better days. My problem is this: The old rubber mounts for securing the original silencer to the frame aren't even close to the correct size for the new DG silencer. I had to fabricate with some old Rubber grommets I had laying around, but now the silencer is so close to the rear fender it is starting to melt it. I called DG and they said to use the old rubber mounts-they should fit fine. They arent even close! I must not be the only one who this has happened to. Any info would be helpful. I guess I'll just have to grab some rubber washers and do a little spacing. (Exhaust note Sounds a little better though!)

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I had the same problem on my 88. I got some delrin (hard plastic) and and made spacers, I also got new grommets and fitted them to the silencer. I can email you pictures of the setup I made if you want. I also took my pipe loose and moved it around a bit until the silencer was pointing away from the fender. With the DG pipe and the c model fender you are never going to get completely away from the exhaust blowing on the edge of the fender. My 86 did the same thing!
Again, Let me know if you want pics. I messed with this problem for days before I came up with a solution. Be happy to help. Both my 86 and 88 were fitted with DG pipe and silencer also.

MichiGator

Jun 23, 2003
reply to silencer snafu

Thanks, Your info is priceless-Pics would be really cool and a big help. I knew that somebody else out there had seen this before-Great web site and people!

E-mail address is sfish@nccer.org - send pics if you don't mind.

I still find it amazing that DG would claim that the original rubber mounts were the correct fit for that silencer. Even more amazing is that the thing blows hot exhaust right on the fender. Who is conducting R&D at DG? Mickey Mouse? Also, the guy at DG told me that the silencer may "bolt straight on to the frame without any rubber mounts" HUH? I guess I'll buy FMF or Pro Circuit next time......

THANKS!!

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I got the same story when I bought the pipe and silencer for my 88. They told me all the mounting hardware was included. I didnt receive anything, including any instructions or even a friggin sticker! I guess the C model parts are not a hot item anymore.

I still get a bit of soot on my fender, but nothing that doesnt easily wipe off.

I'll get you the pictures as soon as I can!

Enjoy that 86. They are nice machines.

MichiGator

Jun 23, 2003
appreciate the info

Again thanks for the info-I guess I shouldn't be too hard on DG but I am kinda disappointed in this snafu for a "bolt-on" unit. I just bought the 86 from a buddy up north and it has the original seat cover, tool bag, and is in absolutely unbelievable condition for an 86 (hardly any wear on the frame and cases near the footpegs says it all). I am stoked to ride it and it runs like a top-Thanks, for welcoming me into the KDX family! I'm sure I will continue to use this forum as it is such a good resource.

-Scott (dodging Hurricanes in Florida)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…