Jeff W

Feb 27, 2005
Pulled my old CR out of storage this spring after sitting for about 10 years. Pulled everything apart cleaned it up and it has run great for about 12 hours worth of riding. After the last ride I noticed coolant leaking out of the ATAC housing, and some accumulated in the pipe after I pulled that off. Figured it was a blown head gasket...no problem.

Picked up a new gasket, first time ever using a metal gasket ('94 was the last time I had the head off and paper gaskets were all I've ever used). I've always installed gaskets dry so I install dry. Start it up and coolant is oozing around the gasket. I let it run for about a minute going with the thinking that maybe it needed to warm up a bit to get properly seated, and that seemed to be the case as the oozing abated. Rode for 10 minutes, ran fine. Let it sit for about ten, fire it up and it starts sputtering on the top end. Head back to the truck shut it off. Let it sit for a couple, fire it up and it stalls, so I pack it up and head home.

Got home and started pulling it apart and find coolant in the pipe again. After doing some searching on here I picked up some copper gasket sealer, pulled the head and reinstalled with the sealer and the gasket problem seems to be solved.

The stalling is still happening. It will run for about 3-4 minutes and then die like it's running out of gas. Start again and immediatly die, then won't start. Pulled the carb, everything is clean. Checked the fuel line, it's fine. Air filter is clean. Can't imagine the jetting is the problem because it' never been changed and never been a problem, soooo.....

Any ideas?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
did you have coolant on top of the piston when you pulled the head? would seem to me if the head gasket was leaking it would leak down into the cylinder and find its way through the transfer ports and into the crank area.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
the tranny oil (that are you changing) is separate from the crank/piston assembly. i'm saying there could be coolant in the crank area (under the piston)

Top Bottom