90 kdx 200 running rich and not pulling

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Just picked this bike up 2 weeks ago. I pulled the carb apart and checked the jets and set the float level. It's still smoking like crazy and not pulling very hard - 1st & 2nd gear feels like they're only 2k rpms tall. I suspect that it's either not getting enough air, or too much fuel. I ordered new top end parts, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

If anybody has any idea of things I should check out or similar problems I could really use some advice.

Thanks in advance

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
I look at eveything when a problem comes up.Reeds, compression check,electrical ....coil,cdi etc ?

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
the smoke is bluish color

also considering that maybe the motor oil seal is leaking?

Just Blaze

Aug 16, 2002
I recentally picked up a 90 kdx 200 and it has the exact symptoms as yours, short powerband and some blue smoke. i figured it had low compression and I am saving up for a new topend. Keep us posted when you get your problem solved.

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
I would check the power valve. Does the smoke smell like motor oil or two stroke oil?If motor oil, well, you know.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I was out riding this weekend, and some of the people behind me said it smelled like motor oil...... if there is anything it could be other than the seals on the case please let me know.

Also, my float level is correctly adjusted and I just replace the valve needle but the carb's overflow still leaks alot. A friend suggested that the o-ring at the top of the bowl is probably the cause, any ideas?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…