90 kdx200 forks vs 02 220kdx forks

kdxgrizzly

Jan 7, 2006
Hi Im new to the forum and was looking for a little info on some forks.I just aquired my first kdx, a 90 kdx 200 which was in poor shape.Ive been rebuilding the bike just to do some trail riding.Iwas wondering the difference between the 90 kdx200 forks and a new set from a 220.would it be worth a swap.A good friend of mine is willing to sell me his forks as he changed the forks on his bike.Is there a huge bifference between years with front forks?Can you feel a big difference in the way they ride?Also I found that there is a hairline crack in the cylinder,right in front of the main exhaust valve,is this common to these bikes?And what do I do with it,sleave it or leave it alone?Thanks for any help you can throw my way would be great.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Well considering that the 90 forks are still damper rod forks, versus the 02's being cartridge forks, I would say they are quite an upgrade in performance and tunability. If you plan to keep it for a bit, and don't have to invest too much, it will be a big upgrade.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I am not by any means an expert in any of these areas but the cylinder crack would have me concerned a bit because of compression issues due to expansion and contraction tendencies. I would research the cost of its remedy before investing in newer forks. (it may be no big deal though)
good luck.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '90 forks can be much improved if you stiffen the springs and install Race Tech's cartridge fork emulators.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…