wpwarhawk

Jun 11, 2008
Just picked up a '95 KDX200, this will be for my son who is in the Air Force. But until he's ready for it, I plan to ride it and give it a thorough checkout as I've always been interested in these bikes.

The story on this bike is that it was bought in like new condition (still had the nubs on the tires) 3 years ago. Since then it's been ridden a fair amount and has never had a new top end. Am I pressing my luck to ride it as is, or should I put in a new piston and rings ASAP?

It has a noise that could be piston slap, or possibly even a bad rod bearing. But after reading about the KIPS noise, and listening to several youtube clips of KDX's running, I think a KIPS rattle is all it is.

This bike still has the stock pipe on it, so it's very quiet which probably makes the KIPS rattle seem even louder.

This year has a purple seat and purple fork boots. Those have to go! Where is a good source for a black seat cover and fork boots?

I'm also going to need a new tank soon. This one is cracked at the petcock, it's not leaking ... yet. I don't see any KDX tanks on EBAY, are they uncommon? Should I just buy a Clarke tank and call it good?

All the plstic is in good shape with the exception of the headlight shroud which is badly faded, it looks like it may have come off an older bike. I'm planning to ditch the lights and go with an MX rear fender and front number plate. Is there a particular front number plate that fits better on the KDX forks? Any particular year of KX rear fender that fits these bikes?

Speaking of plastics ... if I decide to strip this thing to the frame and restore it, is black plastic (rad shrouds, side covers, etc.) availble for the KDX? Is the headlight shroud available seperately (without the headlight in it)?

I just picked the bike up yesterday, the first order of business is to tear down the linkage and steering stem, inspect and grease everything.

By the way ... I ran across a smoking deal on Mobil 2t racing oil, 1 cent per bottle at Autozone, yes ONE CENT. It's been discontinued and this is their way of getting rid of it. The shelf is still marked $9+ but it rings up at 1 cent.

Top Bottom