typergaz

Sep 17, 2008
hi a little help please.
ive got a 92 rm 250 and it was working fine untill is started just cutting out for no reason!
i would kick it and nothing, tried to bump it then nothing then i took the plug out and tryed earthing it out on the engine to see if it was sparking and nothing,
i checked all the wires and every thing looked fine and i dissconnected the kill switch to see if that was the problem with no joy,
all the time kicking it to see if it was giving me a spark, still nothing a few kicks later and it just started sparking bit on the faint side though, i put the plug back in and away it went no problem it ran for about 1 min and then died again :yell: ,
i took the plug out and again no spark the plug was fine not that wet and recently changed so i just tried kicking it after about 7, 8 kicks it started sparking again so i put it back in and it fired straight up for a couple of mins and died again.
i did this a few times and got sick and put it away.

has this happend to anybody or could anybody tell me what to do to get it working properly thanks, Garry

Aug 25, 2008
yeah check those items said by "longtime coming" and try a new plug my rm had that problem it was spark plug acting very funny

rocketman1

Nov 26, 2007
Had thatproblem

Mates 2003 model had that problem, what happened was the elect connection behind (where the headlight would be on a normal bike) came loose, we squeezed it back together, no more problems, dont know if its the same on 1996 RM though

typergaz

Sep 17, 2008
changed the plug and coil today its sparking when it feels like it no change realy what could it be its not starting at all now

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
If everything looks good (connections etc) you may have a bad stator or coil. I guessing both can be tested with info from a service manual. Last time I came across a bad stator, the bike had just quit and had no spark. After cooling down for a little bit it would start back up and run long enough to heat up and fail again. All connections were good and I didn't believe the coil went bad (that usually just doesn't happen). To replace the stator, I belive you will have to pull the flywheel. A new on runs $240 @ http://www.babbittsonline.com/ part #32101-28C02. Good luck.

Top Bottom