92kdx250 or 93 kdx 200

sluggo69

May 24, 2003
im looking at purchasing one of these two bikes .the 92 250 is 1300and the 93 200 is 1700.which is the better bike for a 200 lb'ish man who does mostly trail riding. both bikes are clean and have been well maintained. also since the 250 has been discontinued is there an issue with getting oem or aftermarket parts to modify or fix it?

thanks for the input,,sluggo

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Both are discontinued as far as the model goes. They have been outdated by new models in the 200 and the 250 is gone.

So both bikes have dated plastic like the shrouds and side panels that you can find aftermarkets on Ebay from time to time. Otherwise it is a dealer item. Front fenders, rear fenders and headlights/number plates can all be bought aftermarket. The KX fenders work on the KDX, just get the right year.

Power wise stock? Probably about the same. The 200 will take less work stock to get up to speed. The 250 will have more power once there and more potential for modification since it is based off the 250 motor with 500 intake parts for aftermarket sake. getting the jetting right will be needed on the 250 with a new slide, and different main/pilot jets

The 250 has more issues since the handling is way off. I am running the KLX front spings with a stacked short spring on top. Works good that way but I still need to revalve the forks as anything thicker than 5 wt oil allows basically no rebound. The steering can be a bit slow on the 250, but you can grind down the stops to increase that. Rear suspension on the 250 is good stock. The 91 has a stiffer rear spring than the 92-94s. Be sure to inspect the linkage and all the swingarm bearings carefully! The unitrack link wears at the lower shock mount easily if not maintained. The 250 has 43mm forks which is pretty common units. The 200 would have 41mm inverteds for the 93-94 years. Pretty odd units.

Bore kits, you can get 240 from the 200 and 265 from the 250. Again more power on the 250 once you get it there. Personally the 250 is a lot more work, but usually cheaper to pick up and then you will pay the difference in mods. Get a new airfilter, remove the baffle, #6 slide, 38 pilot, 155 main, Vforce II reeds for the KX500, KX .26" headgasket (stock is .46") and fully exhaust. Get a dynoport pipe is my recommendation. Do that and address the front forks and the bike will rip. That is basically my setup there.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '90 200 (same as the '93) and '91 KDX250 (same as the '92). 

Stock to stock, some of the magainzes compared these bikes and preferred the 200.   However, the 250 benefits greatly from some engine and chassis tuning, and with a little dialing in it is a fine bike.  After mods to each bike, my personal preference was for the 250, but there is nothing wrong with the 200. 

The 250 engine is based on the '88-early '90's KX250, and engine parts are not a problem.  Many of the other parts are shared with the KDX200.   The side panels, radiator shrouds and aftermarket graphics are hard to find for the 250.  You can trim 200 graphics to fit. 

If you ride in the mountains or at altitude, the extra power of the 250 is great.  It has a very heavy flywheel and will lug down low and pull well on top after you tune the motor.  The stock forks are not so good and will need a revalve and heavier springs to work properly.  The 250 has slow steering geometry and a poor seating position, but these can be improved.  Basically, if you take the time to dial in the 250 it is a fine bike, but it is heavy for a 250 2 stroke.

I really liked my 200 and did all the usual mods.  It was pretty snappy and handled well, and is lighter than the 250.  More fun on level twisty trails than the heavier bike.   Stock jetting is a little off for most areas, but not as badly amiss as the stock 250.   $1700 sounds like a lot for a '93, though.

Good luck with the bike you pick!

edit - Hi Matt!  You got in as I was typing.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…