440racer

Aug 7, 2006
Help Please - 96 CR 125 compression?

I just picked up a 96 cr 125 and it won't start. Spark's good.

Compression feels low. I'm going to pick up a compression gauge today and check it but I can't find a specification for this motor.

Does anybody know the minimum reading I should look for?

Last edited:

440racer

Aug 7, 2006
I was halfway planning to replace the piston & rings. Probably won't cost much more than buying a compression tester anyway. Just thought it would be good to know compression.

About soaking the carb. What's the best solution for soaking a carb?

440racer

Aug 7, 2006
I didn't think it was getting any gas, but I was spraying starting fluid in it and still nothing.

Last night I took a working carb off my 93 cr125 and still wouldn't start so I started to take the cylinder off to replace the piston & rings but thought I would check the power valves just to make sure they weren't stuck open and whatya know, they were both stuck open (really stuck - full of carbon). So they're soaking now and I'll try to put it back together before pulling the top end and see if she'll start'

Thanks for ya'lls help!

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
FYI if you are below 130 psi on compression, you need a rebuild or have like a head gasket blown. You should be between 170-210 as a general rule.

440racer

Aug 7, 2006
Thanks Matt90GT! It is good to know a guideline for compression. I hope after cleaning and re-installing the exhaust valves that I'll have good compression. But now I know what to look for as a minimum after that.

Thanks again.

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
130? yeah on a four stoke.... lol i have a freind who has a husky 360 that was running(although not good) on 25 psi. im not sure what normal compression is on two stroke but im sure they will run on a lot lower than 130

440racer

Aug 7, 2006
Thanks guys for the info. I just put a brand new piston in a newly nikasil plated cylinder on another bike. After I get the exhaust valves unstuck and reinstalled I'm going to check compression on both bikes and post the results. I hope the bike with the newly cleaned exhaust valves will start then.

Top Bottom