deucelive

Apr 18, 2005
I recently purchased a 96 rmx 250. it starts good rides good but all the power is right off idle. Past half to three quarters throttle it just falls on its face. Have been told it needs a different exhaust but the only ones i can find for this year bike are for low end power. Anyone know of an rm pipe that would fit it or a good rmx pipe with good top end? Anyone else had this experience? Any & all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Part of the problem is that the RMX motors were tuned more for low end than their RM cousins. Not sure what exhaust you're using, but the stock pipe and silencer are big, heavy, and restrictive. Any of the FMF or Pro Circuit "rev"-type pipes should improve the top end, and a Turbine Core spark arrestor or shorty silencer will help with flow. After you do that, you'll probably have to re-jet. WIth the RMX's I owned back in the day, I'd usually go a couple sizes higher on the main, maybe play with the needle and pilot.

Another thing you can do is get the optional thinner head gasket. I think it's the same as what the RM's were using, whichever models (early 1990's, maybe) the RMX engine is based on. It gives the engine more hit, if that's what you're looking for.

Hope that helps....

deucelive

Apr 18, 2005
thanx for the info. I took the lid off the airbox & that seemed to help some & think I've located a pipe so I should be well on my way :ride:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
deucelive, if you have a choice in pipes, I would go for the FMF. We have tried both on my friends bike and we feel that the FMF is overall the better pipe. The Pro-Circuit isn't bad by any means though, it has a ton of overrev!

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
RM pipes do not fit the post '92 RMX.

Certainly get a full PC or FMF exhaust. Fit/looks are best on the PC, FMF has thicker metal; they are = in cost & not much diff. in performance. (The later I have as a spare, if you want to try-before-buy, as well as a V-Force Delta reed cage.) Rejet accordingly; their jetting data is fine. And Frizbee the air box lid as it will no longer be needed, even for wet weather & mud.

Next rebuild replace the head gasket with a ’89 RM250 or Cometic equal (HiPer for the std ’93-’98 RMX). Always clean the exhaust valve, especially the two small pen-like springs, and use of a good synthetic keeps it relatively clean between rebuilds.

Replace the plug with one one-step hotter for woods or trail riding.

Have Eric Gorr port it to your liking and mill the head for improved performance – it’s worth every penny. His work is good; smooths out the mid-hit and adds some over-rev to make it an even better trail performer.

Ceet has tall foam, but I like the round shape Tecnosel better than the flat-topped Ceet; even a shorter guy like me benefits from taller foam. BRP/Scott’s has a top clamp which moves the bars forward; go with a fat bar replacement like CR-High.

UFO sells replacement plastic (’89-’92 RM250), and last holdout for graphics is from Ceet.

A stabilizer does good for the twitchiness.

Respring according to your weight/skill.

Sorry: that’s more that you asked for…e-mail me if you want more.

Jay25

Jun 3, 2005
RMX - headache

placelast.... man you are a great help..... I would love to take you up on the reed valve offer, but gees I can not expect you to just give it to me...... I am so frustrated with my ride. According to the papers of my RMX (financed by the bank) my RMX is a 97, but according to the frame # it is a 90/91 - Could this be possible?

I found an IMS long range tank for my ride, but now I am confused with the year module... meaning I know longer know which year tank, radiator shrouds to purchase, or evenwhich year FMF gnarly pipe etc.. The tanks and shrouds all look the same, from the 89 to the 98, is this true - PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

Jay

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Thats a big difference in years. Try pulling up some photos off of Google on the years and maybe that will help. Did you call Suzuki on that frame #?

Last edited:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Of course I can give you the reed cage – It’s mine after all and I can do with it as I please! j/k. Same goes for my spare FMF Burley/spark arrestor/E-Line pipe guard! What else do you need? There’s certainly no need to be frustrated; we can iron it all out.

If you have picture, I can tell what year it is; and in some cases, which world region it was imported to, but that’s another conversation altogether.

Lacking pix, maybe this will help: the first two years had KYB suspension (43mm fork tubes); thereafter it was Showa (45mm). 1996-98 came with conventional forks.

’93 up had swing arm-mounted side stands.

The first five years had yellow side panels and a headlight shell. All years of the plastics interchange except the fork and front disc protectors due to the three versions of forks.

’89-’90 shared exhausts, the’91-’92 shared, and the ‘93-’98 shared amongst themselves; three separate groupings.

’89-’92 had blue frames, gray ’93 up.

All the above applies to USA-imported models.

It could be the previous owner did some exchanging. The pre ’96 engine cases are offset different – you cannot do a lower engine swap; tops, yes. The reason for this is conventional forks stress the front of the frame differently than USD forks. They came with different down tubes, gussets, and stress distribution points. Above and behind the engine they are identical.

The 4.7-gal. IMS tank is HUGE! I’ve done 70 miles of woods/high-elevation riding and did not use reserve on the stock tank, so you can be good for what, 130-150?

The radiator shrouds are all the same, from ’89-’98, and UFO makes them. The ’89-’92 RM250 shrouds are identical.

Please e-mail me and I’ll give you more lest I bore others…

corndog

Dec 30, 2003
RMX owners reunited

Hi Placelast et al

I am a proud owner of a 99 RMX 250. It is stock except for a full FMF exhaust and rejet, and I have made my own 2 piece powervalves to replace my worn stock items (I made the top two thin pieces out of a block of stainless and used the stock Suzuki lower part) just got to sort the low rpm running

Placelast, im interested in any stories info you have of you bike, my email adress is aloneandloaded@hotmail.com ( last year I asked my apprentice to open me a hotmail account and he choose the name, I was seperating from my girlfriend at the time!) there is no worries about boring me with RMX article, I cannot get enough of thm.

I have 2 old articles re RMX's form the uk mag TBM if anyone is interested, just let me know.

SC

Top Bottom