KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
My son did a good job on his bike last week. when I wasnt watching he deided to play submarine on his bike. Well It quit I wasnt sure why Got home dint think about bike quiting. Changed oil it was white and full of sand ($#^^$%%) and other foul words. Well the bottom rod bearing seized , Local shop wants $400 to rebuild bottom end I feel that is high Can any one give advise on this If I had Instructions Im sure I can rebuild the bottom end but I have never split a case before.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Well the first source of info is a shop manual...(best $20.00 bucks you can spend) and as a supplement to that info go to Eric Gorrs web page and look at the articles on bottom end rebuilds (he puts it all in plain english). Thats my 2 cents worth...I just split the cases on my 250 and its not that bad...but I will get a shop to rebuild the crank for me (the most critical part of the operation)
For the average backyard mechanic it should only take 1 or 2 days.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Not a hard job if you keep thing organized. The shop manual is a "must". A case splitting tool, clutch hub holder and flywheel puller is also necessary. An air impact wrench is helpful with getting a couple of big nuts off.

These engines and transmissions are suprisingly simple and you shouldn't have any problems. Ditto what mackay said about having a shop rebuild the crank - that or buy a new crank assembly as I did.

In our case the project was a great opportunity to teach my sons how a two stroke engine worked. In fact they were "hands-on" through the whole process and we all learned how to rebuild the engine together.

Have fun with it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom