98 200 Gear selector problem

B

Jun 29, 2000
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had a gearbox problem with their H model KDX's.

Yesterday I was in the Yorkshire dales in the UK and for no reason at all it stuck in 3rd gear. Both sides of the stuck 3rd resulted in a fake nuetral or the bike would just jump in and out of 3rd. The lever still moves butno other gears can be selected. And I had a 30 mile ride back to the van at 25mph. Still it was a nice day.

Anyone know what tools Ill need to split the casings (flywheel extrator, clutch holder etc)

Thanks B

UK :think:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
You may have had a bolt or spring or something come loose or sheer and is trapped in your tranny. Don't split the cases yet. Take the clutch cover side off(includes exposing the kickstarter and waterpump) and start looking for missing parts in there. I had a clutch basket sheer a bolt to the backing plate and it got stuck in the gearing. I ended up having to take my enging out of the bike to tilt the engine so the bolt head would fall to the bottom where I could reach it with a magnet.

B

Jun 29, 2000
Cheers Ted, I spoke to Corby Kawasaki the other day who said it may be a cracked selector fork. Ill try dropping the side off first and if I have no joy Ill drop the full engine out.

By the way, I was running the KDX along side a brand new gasgas 200 the other day and didn't really notice that much extra power. Mine just comes in earlier, oh and the chassis was better.

Thanks B

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
That is a common answer for your problem since it is one of the answers in the manual. It is probably not the fault. Hopefully you have a manual for the bike and if not off road only was selling one for 5 pounds on closeout. it is probably gone though but maybe not.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom