MXcruiser

Aug 19, 2009
I have a question about a rear shock for one of my bikes. how can you tell if the rear shock is charged or not? Is there a pressure we should be running (schrader valve) and if so seems there are tires shops filling tires with nitrogen now will they be able to put enough pressure in one? I am not too cheep but have 10 bikes and it sure gets expensive when changing pistons or shocks or rebuilding forks! Any real advise would be welcomed!

Richard S.

Aug 21, 2009
When was the last time the shock was serviced? If it's been a while, it probably needs a rebuild. If it's low or out of nitrogen, it needs a rebuild - not just a n2 charge.

Push on the seat. Does it feel like there's damping or just spring? If it's just spring, it needs a rebuild.

The tire shops can do it if they can regualte up to 150psi. Although some may not want to just for liability reasons.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Also as the N2 gets low the seals seem to weep a bit , once the N2 is gone the shock also seems to hang down in the stroke and not rebound properly .

Like Richard said , if its been a while it needs a good going through .
Recomended oil change intervals are between 20 and 30 hours of riding time.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
yesterday I measured the rebound time of a shock without the spring. it depends on type of shock and rebound clicker position, but it should not take more than 5 seconds for rebound (reb-clicker fully open). then you know there's enough n2 in there.
but like the other guys said, without nitrogene it leaks and sucks air, you will notice this

Top Bottom