99 Ktm Rear Shock

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
Does anyone know what the difference between a 99 250 EXC and a 00 300 EXC rear shock is? My buddy has a 00 300 EXC and the ride is much more plush than my 99 250 EXC. I know the forks are different but the rear of his bike is much softer.I'm guessing that it is in the shock valving, both bikes are stock.:think I'm considering changing the shock valving but I want to make sure that's what it needs. The sag both static and race are set properly on my bike. I ride tight woods stuff, weigh 200lbs with gear and am a B rider. Any suggestions or comments?

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Road -
The differences between a '99 PDS and a '00 model go far beyond basic valving. Mechanically, they are quite different.

That's not to say that a competent suspension shop couldn't get your '99 working "better" with a re-valve, though. It'll never be great, but it can be made to work better.

Good luck!

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
WhiPit, when you say mechanically they are different are you speaking of the shock itself or the bike.Would I be better putting a 00 shock on my 99 or does it go beyond that to suspension geometry?:think

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
KTM made changes to the needle inside the chrome shaft, that means you may not be able use 00 valving in a 99.The 2001 has a completely differnt shaft assembly(it looks the same though externally).I wish i could help more but the PDS is the hardest shock to get to work really well(not to say it cant be done).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…