99 KX 250 setup for fatso

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
99 KX 250 setup for slightly overweight guy

Hi there,
I just bought a 1999 Kawasaki KX, and want to know what kind of spring I should use in the forks and the shock. From what I read, the stock springs were way too soft, and progressive. I weigh 220 pounds in gear, and want to jump a bit :flame: , I was wondering what oil weight to run, and what spring rate to get. Also, any additional tips most welcome, Thanks

Last edited:

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Ooops, forgot to mention:
I'm 6'2", ride mostly open terrain (fast), on hard packed ground, sometimes sand, and sometimes soft dirt. I would say I'm intermediate level, or trying desperately to get there ; )

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'm about the same weight and height as you. MX-Tech set-up the suspension components on my 98 KX250 . They installed straight rate springs front and back. 0.46 springs in the forks and a 5.6 spring on the shock. Mobil 1 ATF is an excellent fork and shock fluid. My fork oil height was set at 90mm. If the 99KX250 is the same as the 98, this ought to get you in the ball-park. Good luck. :)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
go to the spring rate generator at MX tech or Race Tech.

the ATF oil is a bit viscous (i believe they blend it) so you might want to try a regular fork oil.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
I have Racetech 5.4 rear and .48 fork springs I just pulled out of my 01 KX250 I'll sell you if interested. The guy I bought it from said he weighed 225 lbs and was 6'2". They were much too stiff for my 165 lb frame. Email me at if your interested.

Last edited:

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Thanks KDXDan, yup, I'm interested. I almost bought a KDX, but went for the KX, do you have both bikes? If so, how do they compare for fun riding (open terrain, trails, some jumping)?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…