99 PW 80 should I buy one ?

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I am looking at a PW80 for my 8.5 year old son who is currently riding
a 78 Z50. The Z50 rarely gets a full day without something going wrong ? He does love riding and trail riding is what we do no motoX.

Any thoughts on this move.

Thanks !

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I would say yes. The bikes are perfect for this. If he likes jumping , there might be better bikes.

I liked the PW 80 as well as or better than the TTR 90. I had a friend that bought one of each for his boys. The 80 was less money and would do anything the 90 would do.
The boys, age 8 and 10, did well on both bikes. They became involved in racing. The bikes were then sold.

If your boy is tall enough the KX 65 is a great little machine with much better suspension than the TTR or PW. Not as good on trails, however.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I agree the ttr-90 is probably a beter bike but it is about twice as expensive. To what age would he be able to ride the PW80 if was was smallish is size. Any 12 year olds still riding PW80's ?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Hell I'm 30 and 350+ and ride a pw80 as a pit bike. I occasionally hit the trail chasing my kid. The bikes are bullet proof. If you kid wants to hit the MX track and race this is not the bike for him. Also they are pretty light on torque so if you hit hills a lot one of the 4 stroke playbikes would be better. You could drop a bigger sproket on the pw80 to get more low end grunt.
Also the kx60 is a decent bike for the little guys. not much low end on them either but if you can teach you kid to spin it and use the clutch your in. Also very nice examples can be had for less than $1500

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I live on the West Coast of Canada and we have unlimitted logging and minning roads that are steep. Will a PW80 pull him up these long climbs at more that a walking pace, say in second gear ? The sprocket idea is a good one this will keep his top speed down as well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My son started on a PW80 and it was a great starter bike.  Had no issues with it for our purposes.  The bike also comes stock with a restrictor in the pipe to tame it down, when your son is ready pull the restrictor and you get a little more from the bike.  As for the hill climbs just like any other bike it is all about momentum, if your son is capable of keeping it on the gas on the approach it will climb in second and third gear.  Worst case scenario it will also chug up pretty much any hill at a crawl.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I agree with jasle, the KX is a better way to go. more suspension, and a better power. and most of all, alittle more room to grow!

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
gnarlykaw
I see you have a DS80 what do you think of it for my son, there is a 96 in mint shape availiable right now ?

sluggerjoe

Dec 1, 2002
I dropped a tooth on the front of my boy's PW80. I think it should be almost mandatory, they are geared too tall for slow trail riding. As far as the bike goes, I don't see how you can justify the extra expense of the TTR, it is the same bike except for the motor. Soft, soft , soft suspension. If the kid rides either much, he'll outgrow it in a hurry.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I started my boy on a PW80 last summer at age 5 1/2. By age 8 I expect he'll want something more advanced. If your son is doing very well on the 50, a PW80 probably won't keep him satisfied for long.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Thanks for the input.

I bought a PW80 yesterday, he loves it. It is perfect for him now at his size he can touch the ground almost flat footed. I agree he will outgrow it within a couple of years but his 4 year old bother should be ready for it by then.
It is a used bike and has been maintained by a dirt biker, wired grips, inline fuel filter, etc. I don't now what if any modes were done but it has lots of power, I wieght 200lbs and it will pull from stop in 2nd no problem. Way more that the Z50 he had. Woo Hoo !!!!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
cool have fun! If you buy an ignition from an older 80's PW80 they don't ahve the rev limiter built in. It will add just a little bit of poop up top.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
.... his 4 year old bother should be ready for it by then.

Now there's a plan. I've got a 3 yr old and a newborn in line for our PW..... if it survives.

I like the tip on the older ignition. Thanks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…