A couple questions about my 81

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
Will the forks off my 81 KX125 be an improvement? They look the same in the parts diagrams.

Also, what silencers will fit the 81 KDX 175? I need a new one.

82 KDX 175.JPG

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Your '81 is in awesome looking condition ... especially for it's age!! I have no experience with older KDX. However my '92 had KX125 forks the first couple months I rode it (loaned to me). Then I bought it and the old owner wanted the KX forks back so I went back to stock ... Too soft, mushy. I have since tried some different springs. In my case, yes the KX forks were better, but my stock forks are as good or better with stiffer springs, right fork oil, and correct preload. Dave

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
why not try a 95+ kdx200 front end then you would have disc brakes...there are plenty off front end available including the one in my garage I got with a frame recently

Bark3rd

Jan 5, 2009
thanks all, I rode this thing this weekend on rocky technical trails and kept up with some decent B riders on it. I was most impressed, it was my first outing on it. I cant charge as hard as on my 08 KTM but for twisty, lower speed technical stuff, it did very well and my friends were cracking up when I would rev on them to pass. Its not making the power it should though, I can feel it just start to get into the powerband at the top of the rev range but then it falls flat. I need to keep messing with the carby. I'm also getting alot of vibration, in neutral sitting still when I rev it the bars vibrate like crazy. Not sure if this is normal, it seems excessive. I checked the motor mounts and they seem tight, hope its not something worse.

Oh, and before I went out I put some air into the forks, about 20 lbs each side. Seemed to help a bit with the bottoming. Ill try the KX forks nxt time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom