A little help for a 4 stroke newbie

drugfree906

Oct 5, 2008
Hey everyone.

I've ridden 2 strokes for a while now. Next spring I'm looking to get into a 4 stroke 250. Seems like the low end power combined with a more reliable powerplant would make for a fun bike. I ride a lot of trails up here in the UP, but I'm thinking about starting to go to the local track once in a while. Never really learned how to jump, so I might have to start checking that scene out.

I'd like your comments. First off, would you say I'm on with the "pros" I see in a 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke? Are there any "cons" that I don't know about? Also, what are your thoughts about brands? I ride a Kawasaki right now, but am in no way brand loyal.

Thanks for your responses. Later.

x

Mar 18, 2006
used 250f's are a scary thing. I know of several guys in trouble on their's bought used. $$ and then more $$$. In the world of 250f's, it is better to buy new and then really take care of that engine. A clean used 2 stroke is a good thing tho....

wildmud

Oct 13, 2008
I am a new dirt biker. Just bought a 200cc 4-stroke chinese made dirt bike from t-motorsports like half a year ago. Pretty good ride, but I am looking for some upgrades now, any suggestions?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
wildmud said:
I am a new dirt biker. Just bought a 200cc 4-stroke chinese made dirt bike from t-motorsports like half a year ago. Pretty good ride, but I am looking for some upgrades now, any suggestions?

Yeah, start your own thread for one...

Dec 8, 2007
The 4stroke's not more reliable, I think it's about the same. A 250f weighs about 20lbs more than a 125. I've got a 450 and a 125. The 450 is way better on the track and the 125 is way better in the trails. That's my experience anyway. hope it helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…