A little suspension setup help? Please?

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Hi,
Right this is for my brother's 01 YZ250F, he weighs roughly 175 pounds and the bike is used solely for Motocross at quick Grade C level. The problem he's having is the suspension tends to bottom far too often, even off reasonably small jumps. He broke his wrist recently and is worried if he overshot a jump the bike would come down very hard and injure his wrist again. Plus it's just very annoying to ride when the bike bottoms regularily. So my question is what should he do? It is not really possible to have revalving done here so springs and oil levels are the only real possibilities but we don't know which way to go with them so any suggestions would be great.
Here is the current setup, as it came to us, the bike is second hand from a Grade A rider...

Shock -
Static sag - 15mm
Race sag - 82mm

Fork - (I think I measured this right, if figures sound weird then maybe not :confused: )
Static sag - 35mm
Race sag - 65mm

Stock springs front and rear.

I measured the fork oil level at 80mm but I realised afterwards that there may not have been oil in between the inner and outer tubes so it is probably wrong, could be anything really...

So should he change the springs, and if so what rate springs does he need? Stock fork is .440, stock shock is 4.8. Does .444 and 4.928 sound right(They are from racetech.com).

Thanks for any help :thumb: ,
Philip

capt hookleg

May 30, 2001
Without the ability to revalve, your choices are limited. You are moving in the right direction with raising the oil level and heavier springs. The mid-valve in the forks are possibly bent, causing the front to bottom to easiy, but a suspension shop would have to do this work. Race tech makes do-it-your self kits for revalving if you're mechanically inclined. If your brother broke his left wrist, try a boyseen flex grib - its lets your left grip move on hard landings, taking up some of the shock. As for the springs, RT sound in the ball park with their rates (.45 and 4.9 or 5.0)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Your sag number on the rear sound bad-you should aim for 95/25mm so if you back the preload off a bit it should be a lot closer-at present your shock is transfering alot of weight onto the forks.From the spring rate generator it doesnt sound like you need different springs.However the euros bikes comes with different springs to US models so check that.
I adgree with capt on the midvalve shim problem.With your level of 80mm it would translate into a airgap of about 110mm.You could raise this to 100mm but if your midvalves blown it wont help.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
OK, thanks guys I'll check the manual and check what the stock fork springs actually are, I just took those from the MX-Tech site. I'll setup the rear sag and sort out the oil level and see what happens.
One thing I assumed the term oil level referred to the distance from the top of the outer fork tube to the top of the oil, have I got this muddled up? Is this actually the air gap, then this air gap should be subtracted from the fork length to get the "Oil level" or what? Anyway the 80mm I gave was from the top of the outer tube to the top of the oil but as I said it's probably wrongs seems as I didn't take the oil between the tubes into account correctly!
What generally causes bent mid valves? Could it be as a result of the A grade rider owning it previously and riding it hard or just one of those things?

Thanks a lot, I'll report back what happens at the next MX - a 100 mile team event, I can't wait for it!

Philip

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Philip i need to be more consistant in my terms-i constantly switch from oil level to airgap-they are the same thing.To set the air gap/oil level correctly you need to fill the forks to the top then remove the oil down to the correct level.Once the forks have been ridden, the oil between the inner and outer tubes is moved into the middle chamber and makes it appear to be approx 30mm higher, therefore 80mm forks ridden=110mm when set from a service.The midvalve shims could be bent from a A grade rider but i think the 01 has a lot of lift on the midvalve and this means its less likely to bend the shims.However after a seasons use you need to have a look to be sure.Also the base valve could have muck holding the shims off the piston face causing a softer feeling.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
You were right Marcus, having read the manual we discovered the Euro springs are different to the US ones so here is what the actual springs in the bike are.

Fork Spring - .430 (Unequal pitch) <- Is unequal pitch what is usually termed progressive here or is that something different? The US ones are equal pitch.

Shock Spring - 5.0, 275mm free length, unequal pitch. Again the US springs are equal pitch.

Does this change anything or should we still just try and get the preload and oil level correct frist and try it?

Thanks very much for all the help...

Philip

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes they are progressives and i hate them-however a friend tried some stright rates and didnt like them better.However the spring he got were sacked out(faulty) after only one ride and so it wasnt a good test.I would get the sag set correctly as it will not ride well with it set to 82mm.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…