SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Well, I stated in an earlier post that I was not going to shoot a deer this year with less than a 30" spread.....I lied I guess, because I didn't quite make it. I ended up with a 25 inch wide and 22 3/8 high buck, respectable, but I just was running out of time due to my Elk hunt starting. (no, not that Elk)

My elk hunting trip has quite the story to it so here goes. The first day of the hunt, I had a shot at a 6 point rag horn, only problem was that the elk were all bunched up and he was standing directly in front of a cow elk. I, shooting a Rem. .300 ultra mag., chose not to shoot just then. By the time they decided to scatter, I did not have a shot at all, , and that ended day one.

The next couple of days were just pure up and down the tallest mountains in Idaho ( it seemed like ). Up at 5:00 am, and tromping the hills before light, and tromping back down at dark.

On day three I recieved a call from my dad via cell phone, saying that my Granny in Arkansas had passed away and I spent the next week there with the family. My granny was a great woman and I highly respected her for her simple lifestyle she led after my Grandpa died. She never remarried and died of Pancreatic cancer at the age of 90, and as I've said before, I'm sure God is honored to have her back.

After arriving back home I was torn between going back after an Elk or just staying home with my imediate family for the weekend. After a quick decision I was on my way back to the mountains with a friend of mine.

I had decided that I would give it one more day and that was it. At the end of the first day :silly: we ran into Elk and I decided to give it one more go Sun. morning. :)

The plan was to drive in as far as we could and then ride bikes up the mountain on a horse trail to the top and then ridge over to the top of a canyon that was going to be pushed by my friends brother and his father in law. The trail was about 6 inches wide and the drop off on one side was about a 1000 ft in places and even more in others and there was a skiff of snow on the ground. In some places on the way up, the snow was a foot deep and my friend Shane slid off the trail once and dang near lost it, had he slid completely off the trail it would have been ugly. To make a long story short I ended up shooting a spike Elk that morning and ending a fine Deer and Elk season. The funny thing about that day was that after I shot the Elk, Shane did not want to ride his bike back down that steep, narrow trail so he and a friend volenteered to drag my Elk to the bottom of the canyon were I would meet up them later and pull the Elk the rest of the way out with the 4-wheeler. I had to hike back over to where we had left the bikes and then ride down the mountain, ride back up the trail (double) with Shane's brother and bring the other bike down again. He was that spooked, just about going over the edge and all. :)

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great report SirThumper! My dad had a poor deer season this year and did not get drawn for out of state hunting, so I am S.O.L. for game this year. I might get lucky with duck season, but I hate to pluck.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Season here has sucked. Good thing I have till Nov 30 to get my elk. Deer is over tommorow. There may be a late archery hunt though.
Getmetoca, try skinning the ducks instead of plucking them. It's so much easier.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Hey, if someone would like to cook, I could be talked into bringing some deer and or elk to Reno ;) .

Plucking is not my cup of tea either, I have several old folks around here that enjoy ducks and geese that I get and all I have to do is drop them off to them, hehe. The ones I do keep I filet the breast out or skin them.

I've heard of a lot of guys having the same poor luck around here. In the unit that I drew for deer I only saw one guy away from his pickup (honest). The honest truth also is that I could have shot a legal buck every day I hunted except for the day I shot my elk, that is the only day I didn't see a legal buck. Maybe that is because I had my elk down by noon, who's to say?. The point I'm trying to make is that I didn't see many guys really trying very hard. I saw a ton of deer this year, both in the unit I drew for deer and the open unit where I shot my elk.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I didn't draw a tag for a buck this year. My elk season starts the 3rd weekend of November, I'm looking forward to it. Duck season is upon us too, always a lotta fun.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by SirThumper
Hey, if someone would like to cook, I could be talked into bringing some deer and or elk to Reno ;) .

You're on! I'll bring my one-burner coleman and chef up some filet-min-elk-appeteasers. Here's my resume for the cooking:

Deer Enchiladas
Elk Roast Extraordinaire
Duck Breast Marsala with Mushrooms over Fettucine
Beast Feast Appetizer Platter
Teriyaki Duck Breast
Wild Turkey Stuffed Onions

Bring it On!!!! You kill it, I can cook it!! (Please! No Possum....)

Funny thing is, I cannot KILL anything :silly: I won a Remmington Shotgun at the last DU event I went to and gave it to my cousin because I knew I would not use it.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Stop it Natalie! It's just not right to make a person salivate this early in the morning. :)

Venison Enchiladas.... I never would have thought of that one. Sounds GREAT! Of course the whole resume sounds excellent! :thumb:

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by SirThumper
In the unit that I drew for deer I only saw one guy away from his pickup (honest).

Gotta love those road-hunters eh? I'm not a big fan of road-hunting, as I think it gives the anti's ammo for their contention that all hunters are lazy slobs and hunting isn't a sport. I find deer and elk rarely hang out near the roads (at least up here anyway) and the only way you get the good ones is to head into the nastiest, inaccessable terrain you can find.

Great report! I heading out for elk in two weeks, and hopefully I'll have another good report to bring back... The area i'm hunting has a 6x6 minimum... yahooooO! :)

Dave

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I didn`t get to deer hunt this year but I`m hoping to be able to go out for elk in a couple of weeks.

Steve

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Natalie. You couldn’t UPS me a couple of those venison Enchiladas. PLEASE!!!!! :worship: :worship: :thumb:

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Well shotgun's been over for about a week, so I guess I gotta break out the bow. I didn't get in for the doe draw(don't like shooting does anyhow), maybe this week I'll post some pics.(cross your fingers for me )

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Our shotgun season is next Friday

I shoot does, they taste good! With any luck I'll shoot one of each!

I could always use another wall hanger although the wife may not agree LOL

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm no hunter, and we don't have what most would consider "big" game, but deer hunting is this area is HUGE. A guy I know just shot a 17 point white tail basically in my dad's back yard. It was actually a full 10 pointer, but had alot of little points. That seems very abnormal to me. Is that a common thing?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
and it's really a 5-point, if you count 'em the right way like we do out here west o' the Rockies!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator
and it's really a 5-point, if you count 'em the right way like we do out here west o' the Rockies!

You guy's only count them that way because you might run out of fingers if you counted both sides. :p

I'm still a Yankee at heart. ;)

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Hah.....was watching a show on the Outdoor Channel the other day. A guy (on a guided hunt, of course) pops a big muly in the desert. Then he proceeds to count every point, on both sides. Duh.....

Top Bottom