? about 2-stroke

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
I was going to get the yz250f but after all the high maintance cost i'll probably go with the yz125 i've never rode a 125 2-stroke any pointers on keeping the front end down when the powerband kicks end

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
The trick is to not let it come off the powerband, slip the clutch off the corners.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
I don't think your going to have any problems with it. I could be wrong (I don't know how much riding experiance you have). But I think what gets people the most is when they don't know there is a power band. As long as your ready for it it shouldn't be a problem. Just go EASY. Another thing to think about with two strokes is rings. A four stroke needs valves checked and adjusted all the time but a two stroke needs rings about 1 once a year. But the four stroke will kill you with repair cost where the 2 stroke is fairly cheap to work on.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The flywheel weight detunes the engine to run like a 4t.If you are basing your decision on maintenance issues then do not look at the 125 suggested schedule! There is no better bike to learn on than the 125,the 250f is easier to ride,all said and done.

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
The flywheel weight detunes the engine to run like a 4t

Will it still run better than the ttr230?

2-storke man. does worry me that much,the 250f maintaenance issues is what has me worried.
I see you have a cr450f,are the 4t as bad as everone lets on to be mant. wise?

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok the flywheel weight get it more bottom end. Because there is more rotating mass which is more momentium. Less likley to stall. Also takes SOME acceleration away. and makes the poweban no as bad. (its not bad to begin with...)

And the front wheel wont just go woop and into the sky... You usally have to be trying to get the front wheel up. Or do something stupid.. Lean foward... Sit closer to the tank. And it wont come up. And dont worry about the kick... Its not a great masssice force.. Its juslt like alittle pull. And it takes off.. like nitrous. :whoa:

But ride it a few times and you will be used to it. And the problem wont occure...

powerT

Mar 21, 2007
cool , I had a yz 80 (it liked to wheelie) when i was a kid just never rode a 125.

Jan 3, 2007
powerT, like mopar said, there are only a few bikes out there stock that will do that and a 125 is not one of them. The fact i weigh 220lbs might help the fact. You will be fine with a 125 and if you dont like the powerband there are many ways to change it such as, pipe, reeds, power blade, reed spacer, flywheel weight, shaving flywheel, auto clutch, and so on.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006

yes, itll run far better than a 230, CRF or TTR, could ever run. 250F's generally require more maintenance than 450's, but fox might have owned a 250F before his 450.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…