About to buy bike but....

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of buying a used YZ125. I have a tight budget and not many choices...I found a YZ125 but heard that it has had some problems

I heard a few things about the YZ125 ... at high speeds the front wheel starts to wobble a lot. Also you have to KICK the gear shifter into 1st gear ...

Do these sound like serious problems to fix myself?

never actually saw the bike in person before this is just what i have heard from other people

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
The YZ125 has traditionally been a great bike. But 125s are higher maintenance $$$ if you are going to keep it in racing form (at the novice level) when compared to a 250. This expense is mostly in keeping the top end and clutch fresh.

D

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007
I will only be using it for trail riding and a few home made jumps, no racing.

The only thing i was really concerened about is the fact that the front wheel seems to wobble when it is going at a high speed. ----Is this a fix able problem or...a serious problem...
I also heard that this bike has to be kicked into first gear...

I have never actually seen the bike
What i really want to know is if it sounds like it makes sence to buy it

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Both items you mentioned are repairable by a competent mechanic.
What year and how much are they asking for the bike? For the most part when buying a used 2 stroke I would be prepared to drop an additional $1K to bring it up to minimums. Most folks dont keep up on linkage and swingarm bearings, suspension service or top ends.

D

D

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007

I am un sure the eyar at this time but it is between a 2002 and 2004 ...They are asking $1200 for the bike and it comes with loads of extra parts, which includes another engine, extra handle bar, 2 sets of kit, performance exhauts, new set of forks, new front tire + rim

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The front wheel wobble is likely a simple setup problem causing headshake, although there is always the possibility of an out of true wheel. I'd be much more concerned about having to KICK it into first gear as this will likely lead to having to tear it down and split the cases to find out what is causing it to be so hard to shift.

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007

Any idea what this problem could be... How easyily fixed??

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Could be a bent shift fork or numerous other possibilities. To find out you will need to remove the engine from the bike, remove the top end and then split apart the bottom end to get into the tranny. If you're mechanically inclined not that big a deal if you're not then you're looking at paying someone for several hours labour.

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007

Would u advise me to purchase it?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Based on how this thread has progressed I would likely not encourage you to purchase a bike that is in need of mechanical repair.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
have you rode the bike? what do you mean by kick? like, you saw someone smash it into first gear? are you sure they werent just using that expression? when im talking about stuff like that, i say stuff like yea, when i kick it in gear, blah blah.... also, that wheel could be what they call head shake. you can adjust your suspension and that will fix that. i have head shake around 4 gear. i just press down on the bike. now, if you mean when you move the wheel its about the fall off thats different. it could bearings, spokes, a worn out rim.

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007

I havent actually ridden the bike myself yet, but from what i have heard from people who have ridden it. They say that it is hard to get the bike into 1st gear almost as if u have to kick / force it using your heal...

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
that cant be good. if you dont know what your doing when you split the case. and, it will get expensive having a shop do it. id take your money else wear. you want a bike thats ready to go.

miller2193

Apr 28, 2007
The one in the bike is perfectly working...The owner went and bought extra parts off of a guy who had a YZ125, All the extra parts that he has for it were bought from this other guy. He bought them just in case he needed other parts. As here in the Cayman Islands we have no Motorcycle dealers everything has to be shipped in...

The 2nd engine needs a Piston and a Cylinder

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…