adding links with bigger sprocket

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Well I did a search for this but didn't find anything, I have a 91 XR250R with stock 13T-48T gearing but I thought I would go to a 51T rear sprocket to help with low-end even more since thats where I need it anyways, I read that the a XR250R with stock gearing will go around 70mph, Does anyone know what one would go with 13T-51T gearing? Would this make it alot easier to wheelie(that trail junk can be some gnarly stuff when you plow into with that front tire)? WOuld my bike accelerate faster? I never go above 45mph anyways, I found some 51T sprockets at XRsonly.com for $49.99 but how many links would I have to add to my chain and where could I buy extra links? I have a Renthal Gold Chain and size is 520x108. Thanks in advance for the help guys and thanks for taking time out of your busy lives to answer this, Matt

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
:eek: buy a new chain. Lask time I "added" links it was using 2 master links and one of them broke.

ps, wrong forum :)

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Buy a new chain and sprocket setup. Mine cost 75 bucks at rockymountainmc.com. I went smaller than stock in the front since the chain guide was rubbing on a larger than stock rear. On my 500, the wheelieability got worse since more wheel spin occured. But the low speeds are why I geared down. I couldn't ride these tight trails idling along at 20 in first with the stock desert gears.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Yeah thats what I got to thinking, If I went to a 51T then I will just spin more unstead of getting traction, I'll just keep practicing with stock gearing, Thanks,Matt

Miller

Jul 8, 2002
Why not just buy a smaller front gear, you won't have to replace the chain, and a front gear is cheaper. Do the math and you can figure the ratio.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom