Advice on packing silencer with Silent Sport?

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
I purchased the silencer material that looks like a ball of yarn that a cat got hold of. How do you pack it in the silencer? (02 cr250 BTW) I've found one review that described the process in here somewhere, but I didn't fully understand the destructions, I mean instructions. Help.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I used R-13 the last time I repacked mine :) Worked just fine, just get the stuff w/o the vapor barrior. As for the suff you have, flatten it out as much as possable and cut to fit the width of your packing screen. Then just wrap, not too tight for it will act as a baffle if too tight. Just a couple of wraps and install.

Good Luck!
Phillip

End Note: The R-13 works fine, I got mine in a roll from Home Deepsquat for like 5 bucks and enough material to repack about 5-6 times. :thumb:

derekk87

May 29, 2002
Do not make the mistake of packing to tight, i packed mine as tight as i could get it and its so loud it rattles your brain.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
On this YZ that we have,I had a hard time having it past that last divet at the end of the silencer.
I put a 3/4" CPVC pipe inside,all the way into the end hole as a guide so it wont move around on me.
Then I put a 1"CPVC pipe over it,just alittle bigger than that long tube with the holes in it. I pack it lightly all the way down with a stick or ?
That way I can use small pieces of stuff that is left over if I needed too.
3/4 pipe should be alittle longer than the 1" pipe so you can hold it straight and keep in the end hole.
When you pull the pipe's out,you'll have a perfect hole to slide that long tube thingy in there. Check the end of it to see if you pinched any packing.
This is just what I do so I can use small pieces and pack them evenly as possible.
Later..

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Very good Whyz! Thats the same way I pack a silencer. Just use some sort of a tube thats a little larger than your silencer core and pack lightly around it while its installed in the silencer shell. It's fast and you now know the packing is even through the length of the silencer. Silent Sport is the only packing material that will stand up to the heat of my race engines , the others just melt and get loud real quick. :thumb:

Last edited:

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
Thanks guys. Now I understand. Appreciate all the advice. Hey WHYZ, would you consider riding the cr100 in the woods, as an adult, or is it just too small for a 3 hour enduro or scramble?

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by bizzow
Hey WHYZ, would you consider riding the cr100 in the woods, as an adult, or is it just too small for a 3 hour enduro or scramble?

It's a CR Expert. It would be fun but I think it would be too small to carry my fat butt around for 3 hrs. I'm 165. :confused:
It needs some beefed up susp/frame BBR type work.
On wet/tech stuff in the woods it would be too much for that little bike
(with me on it) Too much load on the motor. IMO

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…