Aftermarket Exhaust

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
running an 87 kdx 200, not racing (yet :p ), mostly woods. Bought it about a year ago, haven't really done much to it beside fix all the screw-ups from previous 15yrs of ignorance. finally have my jetting worked out, have rebuilt top-end, bought new rubber boots, new air filter, etc, etc. Question is: the exhaust sound like crap, i don't mind it being loud but it is a horrible loud. stock pipe and some kind of s/a concoction, should drop the $400 for a gnarly pipe and s/a, or just $120 for a new power core? Are the power gains really noticable, do you feel like you got your monies worth?

:thumb:

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
First, I'd buy a Turbine Core, not a Power Core silencer. The Turbine Core is a spark arrestor and the Power Core is not. The Gnarly Woods pipe will give you more low end if you need it. The Gnarly Desert pipe will give you more top end. In my opinion stick with FMF. I've had 5 FMF pipes and they have never failed me. I bought a new Pro Circuit pipe for a KX250 and it rusted out at a weld joint in less than a year. Also, I couldn't really tell any difference other than a little more mid-range boost. My advice for woods riding is a FMF Gnarly Woods pipe and a Turbine Core silencer. You will be pleased! If you want it quiet, go to e-bay and buy a stock silencer cheap. There are always lots of them for sale under motorcycle "parts".

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Problem...how do i get a turbine or power core...FMF website no longer has one for an 87, i'm i just screwed until i find one on e-bay??

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Maybe someone knows if an '89-94 silencer can be finagled onto your bike. They are effectively quiet, and don't hinder performance worth the noise penalty.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…