aftermarket or stock pipe after porting

Rider4ever

Sponsoring Member
Nov 15, 2002
I have a 2000 YZ250 and am considering getting it ported. was wandering if there is any need to replace the stock pipe with aftermarket pipe after the engine work is done.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
its impossible to say-some pipes might work better with the porting others maybe worse than std.As a general rule you want all parts to compliment each other-so if you have porting for top end you dont want a FMF gnarly pipe as they will cancel each other out.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
marcus is cetainly right with the general rules, but there are quite a few guys on here with feedback on your bike

what sort of port job are you thinking about rider? check out this thread for more info. dont forget the v-force also, from all the info i have seen, it is one of the best mods for the yz250 (i have one sat on my bench ready for installation)

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=60221

i run the SST/shorty, i never had the stock to compare, but lots of people like the SST for the YZ. its supposed to bee a bit topendy, but it seems to compliment a eric gorr low to middle powerband very well. i have ridden a couple of stocker since and the differnece in power is quite significant.

but i certainly feel its worth going for the porting and v-force before shelling out on a pipe.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
i would think you have to start with the stock pipe. It makes for a good baseline test.

That has always made me wonder about my bike. i bought it used and it allready had a pipe and silencer. I have no idea what to compare it to.

Rider4ever

Sponsoring Member
Nov 15, 2002
Im going to have it ported for the low to mid powerband. I was thinking stock pipe would be fine. But other people were telling me to get a diff. pipe and I just dont think it is necessary. This is why im inquring about it. thanks for all your help so far.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
If you dont mind, please let us know how this ends up. It seaml like so often we only get to hear abotu the problems and questions...never the solutions.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would think you have to start with the stock pipe. It makes for a good baseline test.

i wonder how many people have thrashed their bikes for 2 years, finally decided to to do a topend and bought a new pipe whilst at the shop....bolted it all up and then swore all the new power they found was from the pipe...maybe the new piston made all of the difference?

go for it rider, i got the work done by eric gorr and was very happy, save the money for the pipe and get the v-force! just get ready to hold on tight :flame:

u8dirt

~SPONSOR~
May 4, 2002
On my '01 YZ250 I tried the new pipe alone first and didn"t notice much difference from the stocker. Then I put in the V-force and that made a difference I could feel! I had to replace the pipe anyway(crashes will do that to ya) But from my testing I would be just as well off with my stock pipe and the V cage!

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I had eric port my 2000 cr for mo-better and left the stock pipe alone.I saw no need after my first ride.My '95 was ported fpr low-mid and I left the stock pipe on that one too.I say get your porting done and after you ride it make your decision.And ask eric,he won't steer you wrong.

Rider4ever

Sponsoring Member
Nov 15, 2002
Thanks , I just sent my cylinder off for the low to mid. once I get it back ill let ya know how it works. or when the snow is gone..

Top Bottom