Aftermarket pipes

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
I know there are a lot of threads on this becuase I have been sitting here reading them, but I am still a little confused on which way to go. I am pretty much strictly a trail rider. In reading the different threads, I have narrowed it down to the gnarly pipe being the best bet for the woods. But some guys say they like the desert pipe because it doesn't take away from the bottom but adds a bunch of power to the mid -top end. Are you guys that like the dessert pip riding in the tight trails, or more out in the open? If I am on tight trails, am I going to want the torque pipe, or would the dessert pipe be better? Just trying to clarify things before I spend the money. Want to make sure I get the right one. Seems like people have different opinions.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

RuffTrane

Jun 30, 2003
My buddy and I ride in the same conditions as you...tight trails in the woods. I have a fatty pipe on my kdx 200 and my buddy just put a gnarly on his kdx 220. I rode his 220 stock last year and there is a huge difference with his new pipe. My 200 with the fatty pipe is really kicks in at about 1/2 throttle. It is great on a more wide open trail in 3rd gear etc. However, the 220 rocks in the tight trails. The power in 1st and 2nd gear kicks in as soon as you start to turn the throttle. Makes a boulder-filled steep hill seem like a joke. You don't need to increase the top end in the woods, unless you're crazy like that :). I would say go with the gnarly pipe . You definately want the low-end torque for the woods. Just make sure you take some time to get used to the new throttle response. Hope this helps....

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
If you haven't already you should re-jet your bike. The difference that a new pipe makes isn't as apparent on a bike that blubbering rich like all stock KDX's. My '89 200 has a rev pipe on it and couldn't climb hills for beans before rejetting and changing the needle profile. Leaning the bike out with a 155 main and a 45 pilot and a CGK needle made all the difference in the world. Its no 220, but its got hill climbing power now.

-Maurice

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
Kay DEE EXER,

Read the rest of this in the tech tips forum.

important to note that because of differences in port timing the KDX200 and 220 don't react the same to each pipe. Both the FMF pipes and the Pro Circuit pipe were originally designed to be used on the KDX200. Installing a Torque pipe on a KDX200 will improve performance over the stock pipe from idle to wide open throttle. However installing a torque pipe on a KDX220 will improve performance from idle to about 7500 rpm then fall flat just like the stock pipe with no meaningful increase in over rev or higher rpm performance. If you're looking to improve your 220's power delivery from the bottom to top end then a rev pipe is a must. You'll often see the FMF KG-30 advertised as a rev pipe for the 200 and as a torque pipe for the 220 for this very reason. The torque pipe is still a viable choice for 220 owners who focus the majority of their riding in tight technical conditions or for those who want to maximize bottom to mid performance and are willing to give up some upper mid to top end performance in trade.

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
I put a Gnarly pipe and turbine core II on my 99KDX220. I also change the front sprocket to a 12 and the rear to a 49. The bike pulls like a four stroke in the tight stuff. I love the power in all areas. The top speed dropped some due to the gearing but I ride mostly tight trails and technical terrain in the NE area.

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Thank you all very much for the info.

Junkyard Dog:
After reading your reply, I went and checked out the rev pipes on the fmf website and I did not even see one for the KDX's. Am I just not seeing them or am I not looking for the right thing? Is there a different one you are talking about for the KDX? Not to go against your word, but the fmf website says that the rev pipe improves performance from the mid to top end. Is it different on the 220 in that it improves it all the way through from bottom to top? Just want to make sure I have my facts straight before I spend the money.

If I could improve my bikes performance from bottom to the top, that would awsome. My bike already has pretty good low end power, so I don't know if I want to sacrifice top end for more low end. The mods I have already done to the bike are: put a 12 tooth sprocket on the front, cut the snorkel out of the airbox, and put a 148 main jet in instead of the stock 145 one in. I also have a turbine core II spark arrestor. After doing just those little things, it felt like the bike had much more power off the line and overall power. Instead of hitting the throttle in first gear and pulling wheelie, I can do it while in second gear now. But any more power additions would be great. I am just having a blast modifying this thing and then seeing the difference. I can already tell that these bikes have a lot of potential and I have a feeling I am just scratching the surface.

P.S.-Would a pipe like the rev pipe allow more power as far as pulling weelies and help with the top end? Or would it mainly just help with top end? I love the feeling of pulling the front wheel off the ground, so I guess I am just trying to figure out if the rev pipe would help out with that.

Thanks for all of your help! Sorry for all of the questions, I am just trying to figure out which pipe is going to work best for my riding style.

Last edited:

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Trouble here is your going to get all kinds of different opinions from all kinds of different people.

I have an '01 220 that I put a dynoport torque pipe on this spring. I'm very happy with it, well built and installed in 10 minutes with no fit problems. I would highly recommend the dynoport pipe to anyone.

Definately improved the bottom end, but I think (my opinion only) that it also revs out a little more than the stock pipe, but not much. I ride single track woods with my kids so this set up works for me.

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
Hey KayDeeXer

Sorry for the confusion,

I copied this paragraph from the Tech tips forum on this site under engine mods.

" If you're looking to improve your 220's power delivery from the bottom to top end then a rev pipe is a must. You'll often see the FMF KG-30 advertised as a rev pipe for the 200 and as a torque pipe for the 220 for this very reason".

Please read the whole article to get the full understanding as to how each pipe will benifit you and your riding style, and where you want the power.

FMF listed this pipe along with the Gnarly Woods pipe (KG-35) on the same page.
I believe the Desert pipe (KG-30) is the rev pipe just listed in a different spot.

Look on the FMF page under the Gnarly
$199.99

KAWASAKI KDX200/220'95-04 GNARLY DESERT PIPE

Product #: 020056

Stay healthy

JD

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Wait, I want to read the rest of the article you two are referencing, but can't find it. Where is it?

est142

Dec 30, 2003
97 220 with pc platinum pipe, 40/145 jetting,box lid drilled, 607 reeds,sea level rider. I would look for the top end boost and get the pc pipe.you gain go-go everywhere, but especially in the top end where the motor really needs it. you really don"t need more, or get more ,low end torque with the 220's by pipe swaps. i run 12/49 gearing like the other riders reply...i ride mostly woods trails with one decent mx pit to play around in. you will get more out of the 49 rear sprocket than you would the torque pipe. the 12/49 setup will still be able to use the stock 108 link chain. that is the magic formula for lofting the front tire if you so desire. if you take the bike to the wide open spaces, put the 13 tooth back on, and leave the 49 for more top end.

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Junkyard Dog: Thank you very much for the clarification! I went to the tech tips and read that whole article. What I understood from the article is that the KG-30 pipe will improve my 220's performance from the bottom to the top end. (Please correct me if I am wrong). If this is the case, I am leaning toward that pipe over the gnarly woods pipe. My bike seems to have plenty of bottom end, so if I can improve my bikes overall performance without sacrificing some power in the top or the bottom, that would be awesome. Although I do mostly ride trails, when we get out on logging roads, I like to open it up and cruise. Also, my cousin has a motocross track (I know these aren't motocross bikes but.... I love to just dink around hitting the jumps and getting into the power band). So some more overall power for me would be great.

It sounds to me like if I do end up wanting more bottem end torque after putting the pipe on, I can always change my rear sprocket too.

Thanks again for all of your help! Please correct me the conclusions I have drawn from this info and the tech tips sight is wrong.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
So when it says for KDX200/220'95-04 does that mean that it won't fit on KDX's older than 95? Or can you squeeze it on?

harry

Arcon

Jun 4, 2004
New Pipe

If I do buy a new Pipe such as the Gnarly pipe do I have to rejet my Bike?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…