Air box lid or not

jbrim

Feb 25, 2004
I have a 01 KDX 220 with a FMF pipe and a 152 Jet. Should I run an air box lid or not. And if not where do I relocate the sensor that mounts to the top of the air box. thanks

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Most people will agree that the factory airbox lid is indeed a bottleneck and restricts airflow. You can drill a bunch of holes in it or just remove it. The little black box needs to be relocated, what I did was located it as high as I could just in front of the air box and drilled a small hole and then bolted it there.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
If you completely remove the lid, it will cause you to get your air filter REALLY muddy when you pressure wash your bike. For that reason, I put mine back on and drilled the holes. I can't tell any difference with/without the snorkle, so I put it back on too.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Mine is not the shinest on the block, but I never use a pressure washer (I don't have one) because I am afraid of what it might do to bearings, seals, intakes, etc. I guess that's all because I am from the old school. The quickest and easiest thing to do with your air box lid is to cut it just behind where the little electric box mounts and leave the box and part of the top there and chunk the snorkle and the rest of the lid. Cheers John

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I removed mine completely and zip tied the box to the frame right behind the airbox. I hardly ever use a pressur washer, never had any troubles with mud, even on muddy rides;)

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I drilled 6 one inch holes in the lid and stuffed those White Power lid vents into it with a bit of silicone on the bead. The little filter insert in the vents keep the filter just as clean as if I was using the stock lid. :cool:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I run mine off in the summer and back on in the winter. I have holes drilled in it. Its a noticeable difference with it off but too lean with good air.

jbrim

Feb 25, 2004
I did not mention the fact that the lid on my bike has the snorkle removed and several holes drilled in it. After I sent the orginal post I took the bike out for a ride with the lid removed and it ran great. I then put the lid back on and I could tell that it bogged the bike a little. So I think I will leave the lid off and put it on when I need to. thanks for the post.

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004

Honky sounds a little discriminating, J/K :eek:

I really didn't notice my filter any dirtier without the lid, but it does sound different, just not honky

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Jason02R said:
Honky sounds a little discriminating, J/K :eek:

I really didn't notice my filter any dirtier without the lid, but it does sound different, just not honky

LOL! It's been so long since I've heard that term, I didn't even catch that. :laugh:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I just put my air box lid back on (minus snorkel). I've been jetting my brains out for the last year trying to get rid of a bottom end hesitation and/or flat spot when I "wick it" when cruising just off idle. I managed to jet my problem away but have to put up with being a little rich through most of my throttle positions as well as having to clean up the spooge after every ride.

I introduced the idea jokingly of putting my air box lid back on when commenting on another thread. I then started thinking about what would actually happen if I did put it back on...so, this is what I discovered...

I was able to drop whatever needle I was trying 2 clip positions (raise the clip) and finally clean up the rich low to mid throttle positions! I was blown away! I've never been able to run any BEx, CEx, or DEx needle in position 3 without a major hesitation. Position 4 would give me a flat spot to deal with. I tried CEL/3 with decent results (an occasional hiccup and go) and CEK/3 was slightly better in the hiccup department. both were very linear power delivery, but not real powerful down low (read flat power delivery off idle) but clean running. CEL/4 was a little too rich throughout the bottom and mid. I then went with DEK/3 and found the most power and cleanest running combination that I've ever experienced with this bike! No flat spot on the bottom (just good power) and way more power than any Cxx needle I've ever ran. All this with crispy clean jetting throughout the power band. I did my jetting tests with a 152 main, # 7 slide, 42 pilot, AS 1 1/4. I'm running an FMF -35, "Q" silencer, stock carb, Uni filter, and a RAD valve. I was running in the dry desert at 3000' and 82 degrees.

Needless to say I'm keeping the lid on...perminently.

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
I just removed my snorkle and drilled several 1/2" holes in the lid, and it certainly does sound more "honkey"! :)

Can't wait to ride tomorrow to see if there is much of a difference.

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
Its alright to compelty remove the airbox lid without any mods. I have a KDX200 and never heard of this, but like the sound of it. What is a snorkel?

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Vaulta said:
What is a snorkel?

The snorkel is the "extension" that curves upward, and "catches" the air, (supposedly). It's made of rubber and can be pulled out leaving only the hole. I'm undecided whether in increases or decreases air flow. :think:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The snorkel is there to keep mud/dirt from spraying into the air box off the rear tire.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
The snorkle is also there to screw up your jetting by causing excess vaccum at higher RPSs and larger throttle openings. Thus if you jet to get WOT right, you screw up 3/8 -3/4 throttle range, and end up with a bog at low RPMs when you least need it.

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
I rode about 3 hours yesterday with snorkle removed and 7 3/8" holes drilled in lid.

I noticed that the bike was more responsive, ran better overall, but did not seem to have quite as much low end power (small difference). Seemed to balance out power delivery a little better.

It also sounds different (more honkey, as mentioned before), I like the new sound a little better.

I will keep the lid on and in this configuration.

If for some reason I ever want to return to stock, I can just replace the snorkle and tape the holes shut.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…