eastkdx

Jan 20, 2005
My 220 when I remove the Air Box Lid which will provide more air seems to run alot richer. Which sould be exactly oppisite
of what it should be. I would think it would lean it out but it just seems to have more fuel run through it with alot more spooge comming out the pipe. Has any one else had this problem.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I also removed the airbox lid only recently on my '04 220 and though I didn't note it running richer... It didn't appear to run any leaner... Same amount of spooge, same amount of exhaust smoke, though it WAS noticeable louder :)

Did you make any other changes at the same time as removing the lid?

I know that many, for the sake of simplicity, often describe bike changes as mods as discrete processes... Like "If you do THIS single thing, then THAT single thing will happen..." Hence opinions like "If you remove the airbox lid, the bike will breathe easier and therefore run leaner"

Most of the time that might be true, but I'd wager that removing the airbox lid dynamically alters many different aspects of the bike running and at different rpm... Perhaps your bike now runs lean in idle, but some other dynamic might cause it to run rich at 1/2 to WOT...

It could even be somthing as mundane as the bike breathes easier and so makes more power sooner and so, though it produces less spooge than before, it pushes more spooge out than before the lid was removed :)

Could even be something totally unrelated like your muffler packing simply got saturated with spooge at the same time you removed the airbox lid...

Good luck!

Feanor

eastkdx

Jan 20, 2005
My bike is stock. I was just going to start mods by removing lid and see about purchasing a pipe and silencer. I just got the bike in January. Your question about jetting is that it is stock and maybe it is time to change that. I have read alot of threads and most of the advice says on mod at a time which makes since so you can see what is changing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom