Air Filter Cleaning

jdscom

Jun 23, 2003
What type of solvent is best for cleaning the air filter?
Someone told me they use gas, is this a good idea, or does it work.

Thanks

Cr85Expert52

May 25, 2003
Gas isn't a good idea... It breaks down the foam in the filter and this makes the oil not adhere as well. Some use kerosene but this is after many cleanings and having the filter covered in oil. If I were you I would go buy a cleaning solvent especially made for foam filters. I use No-toil products and it works great. But you have to buy the cleaner, the oil, and the rim grease all at once. The cleaner only works if you had the no-toil oil and rim grease on. It works well and it's worth the money. It's also biodegradeable, so you can do it in the kitchen sink.

jacksoj

Dec 11, 2001
I use kerosene to clean out the oil, then soap and water to get rid of the kerosene and any dirt that's left.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
lol im not allowed to clean airfilters in the house lol i cleaned it with gas outside then washed it off wit hthe hoise then took it inside to let it soak in the sink in warm soapy water i go into my room my mom comes storming in going get this thing outta the house its smelling up the house like gas fumes!
lol so im not allowed to clean it in the house :(

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…